Where should I place my compost bin?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I'm going to build a compost bin -- the square kind, open on the bottom so worms can crawl up in it, removable slats in the front, lid hinged on top. About 3 or 4 feet to a side. I just don't know where to put it. Here's a map:

house map.PNG

If you were me (only not as crazy/dumb) where would you put the compost bin, and why?

Some things to consider:
- I don't want to be a nuisance to neighbors
- Drainage is a problem
- Walking out there from my back door in the winter
- Ideally it would not be difficult to mow around it
- Sun and shade?

What's the compost going to be used for, flowers or veg, garden?
Reason I ask is I put mine right next to the raised veg. garden so I do not have drag or carry it so far to dump it once a year when it's full.
The more sun the faster it breaks down and drys out so there's less smell.
Feel free to add grass clippings, coffee grounds and mulched up leaves to the mix.
2X's and decking boards are not direct ground rated and will rot out if in direct contact with the ground.

What's the compost going to be used for, flowers or veg, garden?
Reason I ask is I put mine right next to the raised veg. garden so I do not have drag or carry it so far to dump it once a year when it's full.
The more sun the faster it breaks down and drys out so there's less smell.
Feel free to add grass clippings, coffee grounds and mulched up leaves to the mix.
2X's and decking boards are not direct ground rated and will rot out if in direct contact with the ground.
I have beds all over the place as well as a lot of containers, so as far as getting the compost from the bin to where it'll be used, there isn't really one place that's more convenient than another.

As for how to compost and build composting bins, I'm pretty good there. Did a good bit of it at my last house. In case you're curious, I'm planning to build this one out of treated pallets.

Back