Quantcast

Where to stick this transformer???

Help Support House Repair Talk:

vinny186

Reaction score
This transformer is to be connected to some LED strip lights which will be controlled by a Lutron digital timer in a one gang (old construction) box in the wall and I'd like to install it just below the timer. I was at HD and their single gang OC electrical boxes aren't deep enough to hold the transformer (I need about 3 3/4") and they don't sell any double or triple boxes for OC. It seems like 99% of all the electrical boxes they sell are for new construction.

Attachments

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Google is your answer, lots.

If the transformer connections are in your existing, and just the LV is from the transformer, all you need is a plaster ring or a LV box, which any of the big boxes have.

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The box is probably uglier than the transformer. I would just mount it on the wall, perhaps even with Velcro

vinny186

Reaction score
HD is the only place near me and the only LV box they have for OC is 3 gang. I'll try a new construction box and see if i can screw it to the stud at an angle

vinny186

Reaction score
The back looks like the front, it's about an inch thick. I decided to buy a deep, 2 gang box and try to screw it into the stud at an angle or use my non-trusty 90 degree drill attachment.

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I keep thinking that it doesn't need to sit on a jbox. That's why I asked to see the back. Please correct me if I am wrong.

vinny186

Reaction score
It has two plastic tabs with holes at either end which are meant for attaching to a piece of wood for example but I want it completely hidden within a box in the wall.

vinny186

Reaction score
Yes. It has 4 wires - neutral and hot and a black and red wire that go to the light strip.

cdestuck

Reaction score
I’ve done several kit with led under counter lighting. In each case I had access in the basement to mount them up in the joists.

vinny186

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions:) I should have it finished this week and I'll post pics!