Yes, it's for cats

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditchmonkey

Reaction score
When I bought our house in the country this summer, I promised the GF that I would build an enclosure for her cats since the house sits pretty close to the road. I had a week off and my dad was game to help me out so we built this completely ridiculous cat structure. We had a good time doing it and the cats use it all the time. I've attached some photos.

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

That's neat. I'm guessing it let's them outside but doesn't let them roam free?

That's neat. I'm guessing it let's them outside but doesn't let them roam free?

Yup you got it! In the photo of the "tower" attached to the house, the bottom of that attached to the existing cat door. One more photo with a couple cats chilling in the catwalk.

IMG_1269.jpg

Hey that looks really cool. Any animal lover is a friend of mine.

That is awesome!! I would love to have something like that (although I'd need a larger version since I have 14 cats who are used to roaming on a 32 acre farm). I wonder what it would take to snake-proof something like that.

oh...man!!!!!!!! ditchmonkey you are a cruel human being

my wife walked by the computer. she likes it.

you do know what that means?

Don't be too sure who's human on this anonymous Intarwebz. Maybe I'm a cat, spreading cat propaganda to impressionable wives :D

That is awesome!! I would love to have something like that (although I'd need a larger version since I have 14 cats who are used to roaming on a 32 acre farm). I wonder what it would take to snake-proof something like that.

So funny story. A couple of months after finishing this I was enjoying sleeping in on a fine Saturday morning when the GF burst into the room and says "Guess what! There's NEWTS in the cat enclosure!". The enclosure is right next to our little creek, and when the rains started the newts became active and started roaming. These newts are quite poisonous if ingested in any way - even licked. So anyway we recently installed quarter inch wire mesh, two feet tall, all around the base.

Habitrail for cats...you heard it here first. So how would you refine this thang?

The main cage needs more features and places for the cats to hide and stalk moving things. Just a matter of money and time for that. Otherwise, just lots of little details. This particular project came together quite nicely and I'm pretty happy with it so no major changes desired. However, immediately prior to building this we built an enclosure for our rabbit as kind of a trial run for the cat thing, and I'm not nearly as happy with that. Mistakes were made! Like for example, who knew that when the rains really got going a spring would start running right in the middle of it. That's right, its a rabbit cage with indoor plumbing. You heard it here first.

Latest posts

Back