Zoning our HVAC system

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsteinhorn

Reaction score
We have a 10-year old well functioning HVAC system but in winter the downstairs is too cool in summer and too cold in winter because the thermostat is upstairs with a common air return on the 2nd floor ceiling. The air handler unit is in the attic with ducts easily accessible. I want to zone the upstairs and downstairs separately and separate the supply ducts in the attic serve the respective zones. I was told that zoning the system this way will lead the blower to burn out sooner because it will be running more. Also, I was told that problems would arise with a single speed (rather than variable speed) blower. What do you folks think?

I use to have a townhouse years ago. Same scenario, what I did was close a couple registers downstairs in the summer and close some upstairs during the winter. Hot air rises. Worked better than having all the registers open.

Of course, I have closed registers downstairs in the summer during cooling times (cold air falls) and opened them in the winter. But the house still stratifies the cool and warmth during different times of the year.

The question remains: Will zoning the system cause premature blower failure, as one HVAC contractor said?

Last edited:
With the energy costs going through the roof, I really got tired of cooling the entire house just to have a cool bedroom for sleeping comfort. I got my HVAC friend over last week, and I decided to add a 1 1/2 ton mini split unit, with a heat pump. It uses 1/5th the power and my bedroom will be nice and cool this summer. He plans on installing it next week.

Latest posts

Back