What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 6 chickens. Working on some cattle. Going to let my neighbors put some horses on my property to eat it down a bit.

cool!!!!!!!!!

take a deer feeder, fill it with chicken feed
put a wash tub over it, so it wont spread the feed, it will just fall down
it is a auto feeder

friend of mine raises cornish hens ummmm good

Last edited:
do you have a fire place with mantel?
you can remove the end of the mantel, reframe it like a plug
a shot gun fits in the mantel nicly
Good idea!

you need some cows and a goat
couple chickens for eggs
Goats are really cute pets and they do good on grass and weeds-- but they also eat paint off of buildings, chew bark off of trees, and need to be wormed frequently or they die. But I still enjoyed having them as pets.
Cows are good grazers and they make a lot of good "barnyard fertilizer". My elderly friend used to collect barnyard fertilizer from my yard. When he got too old to come out, I collected it for him so he could use it in his garden. We also tilled it in to the soil for our own garden and we had some good tomatoes, sunflowers, okra (even though I hate okra), etc.
I see Chris already has chickens-- great idea. Not only are the fresh eggs wonderful, but as a kid, I really enjoyed watching them, petting them, and feeding them. We got a bunch of chickens through 4H. Wish you weren't so far away because I have a huge brooder box for chicks that my father built. It's just sitting in the barn now.
I think moving to a farm was probably one of the best experiences for me as a child. I loved the open fields, the clean air, the lack of neighbors, and the animals. It can also keep kids from sneaking out when they get older (although none of us ever were the type to sneak out). It can keep the kids away from bad influences.

On a side note, the furniture traditions place I mentioned is having an auction to sell off their woodworking/furniture making equipment. http://furnituretraditions.net/auction/ (ignore the popup about the clearance sale). Looks like they are selling a forklift among their equipment.

Goats cost a guy I know quite a bit when they jumped on the roof of his new BMW and crushed it. Not sure I want an animal that will eat anything

We have a guy up here that rents his goats out for weed removal.
Yeah. I know some people who tether some goats up to trees with a long rope near the road so the goats can mow down the grass.

Chris, goats can be destructive buggers but they are adorable and fun to play with for children. Mine used to climb on me, sat in my lap, and were very snugly. Also, roasted goat is delicious. (Never ate any of my own goats though).

If you keep them in an area away from stuff you don't want destroyed it isn't so bad.

This is my latest, came out to Chicago to work on My cousins home.. they wont let anyone else near the house.. Took the long way up around Lake Michigan and visited all the lighthouses up to Mackinaw, to Superior, and down through Cheesy Wisconsin... What a trip, Beautiful country..

Changed his front door, and took down the old porch, built a new one...

20170501_090900.jpg

20170509_201625.jpg

Last edited:
Goats cost a guy I know quite a bit when they jumped on the roof of his new BMW and crushed it. Not sure I want an animal that will eat anything

I had a truck that a cow ripped the mirror off of it
he tried using it to scratch on.

nice stairway, got a crink in my neck looking at it:)

Last edited:
Last night my brother's front left tire shredded so I had to go pick him up in town. Took my cat to the vet this morning because she had a fever (temp 106), was lethargic, and not eating. She's got her appetite back mostly now. I have to give her meds twice a day.
Then I had to drive my brother in so he could get the tire on his truck replaced. Got there and he saw that his jack was gone (it had been propping the truck up), then I pointed out that his tire had been replaced. Turns out his boss had it fixed for him this morning and paid for it-- he'd been hauling something for his boss when the tire shredded.

Last night my brother's front left tire shredded so I had to go pick him up in town. Took my cat to the vet this morning because she had a fever (temp 106), was lethargic, and not eating. She's got her appetite back mostly now. I have to give her meds twice a day.
Then I had to drive my brother in so he could get the tire on his truck replaced. Got there and he saw that his jack was gone (it had been propping the truck up), then I pointed out that his tire had been replaced. Turns out his boss had it fixed for him this morning and paid for it-- he'd been hauling something for his boss when the tire shredded.

Now that is a boss that understands how to make friends and influence people.

Now that is a boss that understands how to make friends and influence people.
He's generally a nice guy. He can be an *** sometimes-- which he told my brother at the job interview. My brother's response was "You're adorable". Guy freaks out when things get busy, makes a lot of mistakes making the pizza, and understaffs/underhires. But he is always understanding when employees need sick leave or need to take care of personal business. He griped about my friends calling in when their dogs were poisoned, but he still let them take off. He will also work around people's schedules if they are taking college classes or if they work second jobs. A few people left for what they thought would be better jobs but came back when things didn't pan out.
He felt responsible for the tire because he had my brother drive to Dallas with him (5 hours one way) to pick up a griddle and other equipment for his wife's new restaurant as well as some stuff for Pizza Hut.
People at the tire place are very nice as well. They used to fix our tires for free a lot of the time. That was before they moved to a larger lot and had higher overhead costs. But they still cut people deals on the tires and labor.

Mowed and wacked 6 lawns, one was over 3' tall so I had to mow it twice, replaced a 4 X 4 post holding a breaker box that had rotted out, repaired a wooden White Herons head that had broken off when it tipped over, sprayed 3 driveways with RoundUp, talked to a customer about replacing some deck boards, took mower to get fixed, went to Dollar General to buy mixer, it's Friday I need a drink.

I worked on my rental then drove to another rental to fix a washer and now I'm home making Frodos favorite drink

How is Frodo doing? Haven't heard much from him lately.

It turned out my brother's boss didn't get his tire fixed. The employees at the tire place saw the truck on the jack with the shredded tire and just figured he left it there because he wanted the tire changed so they changed it for him. The boss did still give my bro enough $ to cover the cost of the tire though.

Went and played D&D after taking my cat for a followup at the vet. Still had a fever but after the meds he gave her this time, she was feeling much better.

On the way home I thought I saw a large tree branch in the road and then I realized it was a man. He'd fallen asleep lying in the middle of the road. I got out and tried to wake him but he was unresponsive. I could see that he was clearly breathing strongly so I called the local police who contacted the sheriff's department. About 2 minutes before the cop got there, I finally got the guy to wake. He was confused as hell. I asked him questions and he only answered with hand gestures and head shakes/nods. He wasn't quite lucid and he kept drifting back off. I kept trying to keep him conscious and finally got him to tell me his name. When the cop arrived, the guy woke up enough to sit up. I described his behavior to the cop when I first found him. The guy was much more talkative with the cop. Turns out his truck got bogged down in the woods. He had some beer and then tried to walk back to his father's house (he started walking at 3am and it was after 6am when I found him). He said he was going to continue walking to his father's house, but the cop said he would drive him home. It was the same cop that pulled my brother over for the headlight issue. Nice guy. Said the only crime was that the guy was obstructing the road. I said it wasn't a big deal and I was just more concerned with his safety. I was afraid he'd been injured or that he was going to get run over. We all shook hands and parted ways.
tumblr_os2s28m6Xz1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Back