What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bud, that is so sad. I wonder what caused the fire.

I got a call from UPS to say they couldn't deliver a package to us and asked for an alternate address because the truck can't go on our road. It's been raining nonstop for over 24 hours-- lots of thunderstorms. I will probably lose phone service again due to the flooding. I'm half-tempted to get one of those giant inflatable rubber duckies (if I could find one) and some kayak paddles... LOL.

I put off going to the store for a couple days because of the weather but I'm going to have to go in tomorrow to get milk, bread, medicine, etc.

My brother had to come home early from tonight because the power went off at Pizza Hut.

Brings back memories of May 28, 1977. I was there the week before to see David Brenner, as luck would have it we missed it.

Beverly Hills Supper Club fire https://g.co/kgs/GsxxqS

Thanks Neal, Tom and Zannej. It is a real mess and the fire siren is still going off despite a couple days of rain as it rekindles. In fact it’s going off as I’m typing this. The fire marshal still cant get in to look for the cause as it is too hot still. I doubt they will ever find the cause. The manager got called at 1:00 as the alarm was going off but they had been having problems with that for a week. The fire chief also came to inspect. The door to the kitchen was too hot to open and that’s when it got called in to 4 companies and they started getting the guests out. We were there 2 weeks before for the 3 day music festival spending all day there but sleeping at home. But during the festival there were easily a couple thousand people in there. Mothers Day coming up they had 1200 reservations for brunch. Thank God the fire happened when there were only 12 guests and they were those women from the red hat club if you are familiar with that group. They will have a story to tell forever. The Fire chief said every chief for the last 75 years that was their major fear and every meeting they went over the plan if it ever happened.

It is really great to see how the local people pulled together when it happened. Some of the employees lived there so they lost everything and people took them right in and gave them what they need. The food and stuff donated for the firemen was unreal and the owner of a restaurant that had gone out of business opened back up and gave the firemen a place to eat and rest. They had food and water piled up to the ceiling as people wanted to help but didn’t know what to do.

This place was really big on weddings and they were booked the whole summer. All the other places that do weddings are offering to make room for them as best they can.

Back in the 20’s and 30’s this town just happened to be half way between NYC and Chicago on the train line and they found water here that people thought would cure you of everything. They came here by the millions and we had 22 hotels back then. This was the last one left as a hotel. A couple have been converted to other uses like senior housing etc. most burned down.

On a home improvement note I always liked the baluster design of the front railings on the rap around porches at the inn. About the only thing remaining are these railings. They were cut from flat boards and put together back to back to make a design. Our front porch was on the house and totally doesn’t fit the Victorian design of the house it is a modern rail with the stained 2x2 pickets they sell everywhere. I got a jig saw off CL about 6 months ago and have been wanting a project and I think I will redo our front porch to look like the Riverside Inn’s porch. Maybe if I talk to the right people I can get one of the original pieces as a pattern and add it into mine.
:)

Wow. Sounds like something in the kitchen was responsible. I hope it wasn't arson. Glad no one was hurt. And it's good that the fireman had contingency plans. Still sucks for the town and the people who lived there. I never even saw the place and it saddens me to think about such a wonderful place burning down.

At least the people in town are stepping up and helping.

I hope you can get some of the original pieces of the railing. I'd love to see pictures.

My recurring epstein barr virus has reared it's ugly head again so my adenoids are swollen and I feel exhausted. I've been trying to get in touch with the guy who works on my pump and well system because the PVC attached to the jet pump is leaking and the square D switch on the holding tank keeps getting stuck and doesn't detect when the float goes down so it doesn't refill the tank and the jet pump keeps trying to push air. I have to go out and manually shove the lever down to make the other pump kick on to fill the tank. And because of the leak, water is getting in to the line so the water pressure is crazy-- low one second and then suddenly spurts out violently. I was amused by the sound of the spurt and my brother half-screaming in surprise though.

On a side note, I'm still sad that furniture traditions is going out of business. But I wonder if they would be willing to sell any of the plans they had for making their furniture pieces. They had stuff with hidden gun saves, hidden drawers, hidden compartments on platform beds, and all sorts of cool stuff. It was aromatic cedar lined drawers and solid wood construction. Expensive as hell though. I wanted to get the armoire with a thing for a flatscreen TV someday but they are totally sold out and aren't making any more.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgaJAn9wQJE[/ame]

I loved the hidden compartment things-- and the fact that they had gun safes in some of them.

I'm hitting the road in a few minutes. Leaving my California house for the last time. House sold and escrow ends tomorrow. Have moved everything out. Starting my journey this morning with a 25,000 pound load behind my dually. Hauling my backhoe up to its new home. One chapter of my life done and a new one begins.

I'm hitting the road in a few minutes. Leaving my California house for the last time. House sold and escrow ends tomorrow. Have moved everything out. Starting my journey this morning with a 25,000 pound load behind my dually. Hauling my backhoe up to its new home. One chapter of my life done and a new one begins.

congrats. i know you are excited to move on

On a side note, I'm still sad that furniture traditions is going out of business. But I wonder if they would be willing to sell any of the plans they had for making their furniture pieces. They had stuff with hidden gun saves, hidden drawers, hidden compartments on platform beds, and all sorts of cool stuff. It was aromatic cedar lined drawers and solid wood construction. Expensive as hell though. I wanted to get the armoire with a thing for a flatscreen TV someday but they are totally sold out and aren't making any more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgaJAn9wQJE

I loved the hidden compartment things-- and the fact that they had gun safes in some of them.

do you have a fire place with mantel?
you can remove the end of the mantel, reframe it like a plug
a shot gun fits in the mantel nicly

Damn, I hate to see this. After telling Cindy about your bail out of Kommiefornia, she is begging us to do the same. She is again searching the area around the "Pines" in Prescott, Az.

It didn't help that we took her 5 year old granddaughter to dinner last night, and she didn't give her a hug or kiss, and just wanted to go home.

:welcome: To the real world. :usa::)

Chris, sure looks as if you could see the weather coming, and the stars out at night in that area of the country.

havasu - that's rough on your wife about the granddaughter.

Chris... how far is your nearest Home Depot from your new place? Costco?

you need some cows and a goat
couple chickens for eggs

Back