What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he would have quoted 150 bucks if be ok with it. When he first showed up he kept saying how far out we were and being from California we didn't know what we were getting into. I guess he figures all of California is inner city?

So, yesterday, I thought I would conduct some preventative maintenance on my washer/dryer. The previous owner (master idiot) has the lint ducting up to the roof, which is a fire hazard and I need to repair, once the attic gets cooler. I removed the aluminum flexible lint tubing, and it was full of it. After cleaning this, I thought I would replace the water lines with steel braided water lines. I have three of them, since the dryer has a steam option. It is plumbed to the cold water spigot....anyone know if this is correct or did idiot boy mess this us as well?

(EDIT, just checked the online installation manual and it appears idiot boy was correct, and the steam option is tied to the cold water spigot.

Connecting the inlet hose
The dryer must be connected to the cold water faucet using the new inlet hoses. Do not use old hoses.
1. Turn the cold water faucet off.
2. Attach the brass female end of the Y connector (A) to the cold water
faucet.
3. Attach the straight end of long hose (B) to the Y connector.
4. Using pliers, tighten the coupling with an additional two-thirds turn.)

I then noticed master idiot boy had the incoming water lines cross threaded, and only hand tight. We purchased the washer/dryer in the house, since it was virtually brand new and idiot boy wanted to get rid of them.

I went to HD and purchased the anti-burst safety steel lines, but with the front loaders, those anti-burst lines will shut off easily, making you to have to crawl behind the washer, break the vacuum at the spigot, then reinstall. To hell with that, I returned it as defective and just picked some good quality, American made steel braided lines.

I then treated the baseboards with bug poison, mopped the floor, then tucked everything back. I should be good once I move the dryer lint exhause to a better location.

Last edited:
I'm almost done making my shop half way usable. I think it's been five days out here now. It is much more enjoyable now

Chris, I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet he guy charged you more for being from California.

Havasu, that reminds me that I still need to get my dryer fixed. Been hanging my clothes over the shower rod to dry.

Tonight really sucked. I was about to eat dinner when I heard one of my dogs yelping. I ran outside to look and 2 of the dogs came up, but Tina (the russel terrier) wasn't visible and then I heard her yelping. I got a flashlight and started searching around and then heard the dog yelping again. I found her sitting in the grass belly down, and seeming unable to move except for the yelping. She was a few feet away from where I found my cat dead and sitting in much the same position. I started trying to check her out to see if she was injured and she was completely paralyzed/limp. I carried her in to the house and set her on a cushion and then ran to tell my mother what was going on. My mother came and sat in the char next to where I put her and started petting her. I noticed she was cold and her tongue was hanging out (cat's tongue had been hanging out too). I got a towel and put it over her and started rubbing her to try to warm her up. Got another blanket later to put over her because the towel didn't seem to be doing much. I know my vet was closed and I checked with the emergency vet and they were closed too. So, I sat with her and tried to comfort her whenever she would start barking (she stretched and kicked a bit when she did it so I assume it was a seizure). The other dog, Brenda, whimpered and rested her head on my leg. Tina stopped breathing about an hour ago. I'm going to call the vet as soon as the office is open and ask for an autopsy. I want to make sure whatever this is doesn't kill more of my pets.

Zanne, my heart hurts hearing about this.
Thanks. She was a good little dog-- always very sweet and cute. She did this little hop that was adorable. She'd look at me excitedly and hop just her front legs (if that makes any sense). She loved to cuddle and very loving with people. I'm really worried that there might be some toxin in my yard. And it's going to hit the pocketbook-- will probably end up being around $260 or more with tax for the necropsy and lab tests for poison (if they think it was poisoning).

I just have to wait and see what they determined was the cause (if they can even figure it out). And my main concern is that I need to make sure it doesn't happen to any of my other pets.

How is Frodo doing? Haven't heard much from him lately.

I was wondering the same thing myself. Back in May Frodo sent me a gun stock to engrave. I sent back proofs of what I had laid out, but haven't heard a thing. I may just send the proofs by snail mail so I can get it done for him.

I was wondering the same thing myself. Back in May Frodo sent me a gun stock to engrave. I sent back proofs of what I had laid out, but haven't heard a thing. I may just send the proofs by snail mail so I can get it done for him.

He had complications from a surgery, he is in recovery and rehab for about a month. I don't think he has internet where he is, I spoke with him a couple weeks ago when it first happened.

Sorry to hear that. I hope he recovers quickly. Maybe I'll just hold off on contacting him about the gun stock for a little while. Getting better is more important.

Yikes. I hope he'll recover fully and quickly. If you hear from him again, Chris, please send my regards.

Edit: Meanwhile, my friend is vacillating between fixing up a house that his mother owns or fixing up his burned house and moving in. He has legal ownership of the burned house but it is more expensive to fix. However, there is a very real possibility that if he fixes up his mother's house, she'll just take it back without any compensation. It should be his house because his maternal grandmother verbally willed it to him, but she didn't have a written will and the mother refused to honor the grandmother's wishes upon her death.

Last edited:
1. Mowed three of my four lawns. I hate lawns. Why do we do this "having lawns" thing all over the place? It's nice to have a small patch of grass to walk around on, but I can't figure out why every house has to sit on a damn soccer field. Waste of time and effort, waste of gas, waste of space.

2. My laundry room has a disconnected wash basin, and the waste line was left open by the previous owners, with a nasty old rag stuffed in it! Because of the odors wafting out of that hole, the room always smelled like a giant dehydrated dog had taken a pee in it every 30 minutes for however many years the previous owners lived there. Well, today I finally got around to removing the rag, flushing bleach-water down that waste line, and capping it with a 2" PVC cap. Now those odor-absorbing volcanic rocks won't be fighting such an uphill battle.

3. We moved to this house two and a half weeks ago and our garage has been accumulating broken-down cardboard boxes to the point where they were taking up most of the volume of the garage. The bulk pickup we scheduled right after we got here is finally happening tomorrow morning, so I dragged probably 300 pounds of cardboard out to the curb, and I can finally walk around in my garage again! There are still tons of boxes and other items in there, but they're mostly stuff we haven't found a place for or needed yet. My next big project will be building a big heavy-duty shelving system in there, since this house is considerably smaller than our last one.

4. Two days ago I wanted off my current project at work. (I'm under-utilized, they're trying to squeeze me out of hours, and thanks to one employee and her insanity it's kind of a hostile work environment for me at this point too.) Yesterday I learned some nasty stuff about how the company is run, and what it means for me being able to do my work, so I realized it's definitely time for me to find a new employer altogether. I have a great supervisor right now but the organization (it's a big corporation) is just not structured in a way he can really do anything, even though he's trying and is desperate to keep me. We've talked and he understands my situation. I've been updating my resume and I have a couple decent-sounding leads. Wish me luck!

5. Tonight I finally cooked some Indian food that tasted almost as good as what I get at the restaurant! Still convinced those guys must be using magic or something.

They won’t be hanging out together in a couple months.

Great photo.

Too bad it was my cell phone with bad light. My dog was barking like crazy in the upper part of my property so I drove up there to see what she was barking at and these three were just hanging out eating. Last year during season we had a bunch here but none were as big as these guys. There has been a big doe hanging out in my pasture and across the highway from me at the river. I'm hoping first that she doesn't get hit by a car and second one of these big guys wants to stick around with her.

Hard telling where they'll be come hunt season. We have huge deer on game cams that disappear when fall comes and bigguns that show that we've never had a pic of. We put out close to 10 cameras on 986 acres, guess its hard to see them all.

I have about 6 cameras, I am going to put an old pond liner I have in up by my fence and maybe plant some yummy foods. I need to put my cameras out and see what I have running around, will probably get 1000 pictures of my chickens.

I have about 6 cameras, I am going to put an old pond liner I have in up by my fence and maybe plant some yummy foods. I need to put my cameras out and see what I have running around, will probably get 1000 pictures of my chickens.

A friend of mine noticed the grass beat down in a grove of trees so he put out the camera. He got some real interesting pictures of his son and his girlfriend.:hide:

Back