What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya that's an old standing nickname for Erie. There is a bit more to the saying. Actually living here is a love hate relationship for most. The winters tend to wear you down but summers are really very nice. Today the snow is heading in and tonight's low is going to be 15. We had two panhandlers but they both gave up when they heard the forecast and took a bus south this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Overnight low was 15F at my house and we had about 3 inches of fresh snow yesterday and last night. Was quite like January / February this morning. Erie didn’t seem to get as much maybe only an inch.

Woke up to 29* here this morning. Suppose to get on the mid 60's today and sunny. The wind yesterday made it seem a whole lot colder than 40. Had to bring in all the deck plants swmbo bought last weekend. Now I have to take them all back out. Only thing she keeps around for is totting stuff. :rolleyes:

Woke up to about 50 and will get to the high 80's today.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

This morning I went out to a truck covered in thick frost. Temp was 30 F. But no snow. The fog in the valleys was thicker than pea soup and the peaks were as clear as can be, made for a spectacular sun rise.

On a happy note they finally called the snow contest on May 1st. Below is excerpt from the snow web site.

“A Big Congratulations to all of you in Erie Pennsylvania on winning this seasons Golden Snow Globe contest. Erie, PA snowiest city in the US and King of the Snow Mountain This season was without a doubt one of the closest snow contests right till the end and was definitely the most fun that it has ever been which is what it’s all about. Erie, you do deserve it! I made a few phone calls tonight to a couple of the National Weather Service stations and both of them felt it is safe enough to call a Wrap for the 2013 – 2014 snow season. I think that this late in the year and with Erie’s half a foot of snow lead I can agree with them. You might want to hold off on the victory shirts a little longer though just in case

I’m not quite convinced that we won’t see a snowflake or two but Erie, PA 138.4 inches of snow for the season and second place Syracuse has 132.0 inches of snow for the season. The National Weather Service thinks the 6 inch lead should be enough to say, It’s a Wrap and way to go Erie.”

I’ll see what I can do about the shirts.

Weather is crazy and people are crazier, now its hitting the low 80’s and muggy and the same people that complained about the bitter cold this winter (couple weeks ago) are saying they can’t take the heat after one day.

On a climate change note I heard a report on the somewhat biased NPR yesterday where a study was done to show the harmful effects of CO2. They set up tanks of CO2 in fields of corn, beans and other fruits and veggies and allowed them to release a small amount of CO2 at a rate they predicted the world may be at in 10 years. Much to their surprise the crops grew faster and bigger and produced more yield. No mention was made if they made more O2 in the process but of course they did. They were not happy with the results so they tested the food produced and found it by percentage of weight to be lower in zinc and iron than the control group. They mentioned that an ear of corn say had the same amount but because it was larger measured less percentage wise. The story then changed to how important zinc and iron are to babies and the problems caused by low zinc and iron for children. They then related the need to stop all this CO2 pollution and the need to get behind solar and wind and electric cars.

I saw a chart here as to how much CO2 goes up around here during the winter months because nothing much is growing. I can attest to the study because the warm temps this week and CO2 I’m assuming my grass went from dead looking to a hay field overnight.

I’m off to mow grass……..:(

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is.

NPR did another interview and the host asked if it was a branding mistake to call it "Global Warming". The response was something like " climate change or climate crisis, call it whatever you like."

It's hard to argue that something is going on. I kind of miss spring and fall; those were nice seasons....

63F today and sunny.

Looks like a perfect evening to work on getting the railings up on the deck.

No global climate crisis in sight.

I did hear another NPR report the other morning on the “carbon sink”. It seems the scientists know there is only so much carbon to go around and its ether stored in the ground or in the air as CO2 or trapped in plants. The carbon in the air isn’t as high as they expected to find so they went in search of where it went and found it went to Africa and turned a desert into a lush bloom of plant life due to some extra rain they have had. This was both good and bad they speculated as this type of vegetation will die within a year or so when they get a dry spell and as the plants decompose the CO2 will be released again to continue its cycle. Basically a tree rotting in the woods gives off the same pollution as one being burned for fuel it’s just the time span to release it. They said in this report that CO2 needed to sink in trees not plants as once in a tree its locked up for many years maybe 100 or more. They didn’t mention anything about this desert bloom making more oxygen and where it went.

Interesting. Fusion is the holy grail...if it can be done. Then we can lose all the fission plants and their dirty fuel rods.
But you have to wonder, what can of worms fusion might open...

Well summer is here and we have been posting temps a full 100 degrees hotter than four months ago. Today it’s in mid 80’s and muggy.

I bought a mister thing for the new deck today. Hook it to the hose and it’s supposed to make a fine mist like I saw in AZ last time I was out there. It’s sure to get me yelled at for wasting money but it was in the discontinued rack so that’s going to be my story.

What’s the rest of the world seeing for temps? Has to be hot as the only news I hear coming to work is about the warming of the world.

Still looking for those snow fall tee shirts.

Gonna be 106 today.

Oh Man that’s hot.

I guess the nice point about living thru the negative 25 days around here in winter is the mild summers.

Tuesday was the warmest this week it hit 80. We watched the sun set watching a concert on the bay. Today the high should be 72.

Last edited:
Oh Man that’s hot.

I guess the nice point about living thru the negative 25 days around here in winter is the mild summers.

Tuesday was the warmest this week it hit 80. We watched the sun set watching a concert on the bay. Today the high should be 72.

Thats the climate I could live in. I hate the heat.

Thats the climate I could live in. I hate the heat.

A lot of people when they retire here become “snow birds” some buy a second house in Fla or similar state some keep a trailer or motor home at one place or the other and some drive it back and forth spring and fall. I have thought about doing that after retirement but I find the worst part of winter is getting out and driving and being retired who cares when you dig out.

Woke up a bit chilly she opened all the windows before bed and it got down to 55 high today of 74.
Man I slept good though.

63* here this morning, walked the dog, opened the windows, sitting on the deck and drinkin some coffee...it's beautiful. High today 84. Mid 90's back again next week along with the typical southern humidity, but today is really nice.

Latest posts

Back