Basement Framing for HVAC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Canada all lumber needs a grade stamp within 2 ft of one end, Lumber yards carry all the grades or most of them. To save space it could be that the box store only stock #2 but the grade should be there.

It depends on the mill.

Studs are graded as stud, #2 or utility, and the differences in quality are obvious, besides which, utility is often hemlock.

It depends on the mill.

Studs are graded as stud, #2 or utility, and the differences in quality are obvious, besides which, utility is often hemlock.

Grade has to do with knots and defects and where they are in the board.

For years we built with hemfir, which was a mix of fir and hemlock.

I see their lumber like 2x8 is listed as #2 so it could be the mill doesn't cut studs out of anything less.

I contacted a few more lumber yards and prices seem even higher that the first lumber yard. I can get steel sutds cheaper than these lumber yards want for wood 2x4... Hmm, any advantages to metal? Disadvantages?

A different set of tools and maybe a different set of standards. Electrical wires are protected, That would be the first thing I would check on extra work and expense.

lol nevermind. I'll stick with wood. I'm more familiar with wood than metal.

I contacted a few more lumber yards and prices seem even higher that the first lumber yard. I can get steel sutds cheaper than these lumber yards want for wood 2x4... Hmm, any advantages to metal? Disadvantages?

Steel studs; Snips, screw gun, ramset/tapcons and a level, lighter weight easier to haul, and faster assembly.

Wood; Saw, nail gun, compressor, hoses, drill, various bits, ramset/tapcons and a level.

Faster assyembly? I figured shooting a nail with a nail gun would be faster than screwing each stud... only with steel no twisting and warping?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlFg8fiDAhE[/ame]
They have have made the corner trickier than it has to be.

it looks fairly straight forward, but time spent cutting each stud, seems longer than a chop saw to cut a 2x4? Plus I worry I would need to start all over again with my code research, etc.

Is warping of studs a huge problem that people run into? I think that's the thing I worry most about.

I have never done steel studs but the pros I have seen do it use a metal cutting chop saw and cut studs 1/4 short to allow for what ever, might be better for sound proofing, just guessing.

Thanks! I think I'll stick with wood. do I need to worry about warped studs? Is it legal to pull the warp out, like placing a wood brace between a non warped stud and a warped on? or is it best to place it aside and return it later? Not sure how much of a problem warping is?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw7cavIpgm4[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGSe24Tb9yc[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaCdxV4hTmw[/ame]

it looks fairly straight forward, but time spent cutting each stud, seems longer than a chop saw to cut a 2x4? Plus I worry I would need to start all over again with my code research, etc.

Is warping of studs a huge problem that people run into? I think that's the thing I worry most about.

Dry studs are not usually a problem, what you see is what you get. All lumber has a crown and you want the crown going the same way in all studs. When you nail doubles together like window or door frames you put one each way and you bend them to line up and they will hold each other straight.
Yo might find a few that go wild after you have built the wall. But seldom since we quit using hemlock wets.

Faster assyembly? I figured shooting a nail with a nail gun would be faster than screwing each stud... only with steel no twisting and warping?

Steel studs for your project is a one man job.

There are very specific requirements for toe nailing, and it isn't 1 nail in each end of each stud, it's more like 4-8D in each end of each stud.

Where I use 2, 7-20X7/16 in the bottom and one in the top. You can cut the studs inmasse with a chop-saw or about 3sec. with a snips.

Wire with BX or flex and your CAT just drop in the wall.

Last edited:
Steel studs for your project is a one man job.

There are very specific requirements for toe nailing, and it isn't 1 nail in each end of each stud, it's more like 4-8D in each end of each stud.

Where I use 2, 7-20X7/16 in the bottom and one in the top. You can cut the studs inmasse with a chop-saw or about 3sec. with a snips.

Two 3" nails is code for 2x4s

You are holding the steel in your hand, reach into your tool bag for your snips and 3sec. you are done.

With wood you have to drag it over to the saw or cut it and set the saw down.

A waste of time.

Steel doesn't warp, but it does twist, but is pulled straight when screwing the drywall.

Two 3" nails is code for 2x4s

Each end when conventional framing, and if he is setting the sil and top plate separately, it's toe nailing.

Remember, he is in MN and has not submitted the plan for plan check, where those standards will be revealed to him.

Latest posts

Back