Basement Framing for HVAC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes for a rough count on studs measure all your walls and you will need about 1 per foot for 16" on center and for 24" OC you need 2/3 per ft.
For plates a 3 times the wall measurement plus a couple lengths and more if you might drop the bath ceiling.
If I can talk you into the drop up the other wall, 10 ft 2x2 can be bought in a bundle of 12, one bundle.
Check ceiling height all over the place to see how level the floor is so you can order the right length of studs.
If you need 1/2 inch filler to make studs work, ply or osb is fine you get about 96 ft out of one sheet.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
In my media room, I actually want to drop the ceiling all around the room. So if my current drop for air ducts is 4' wide, I would make a drop on the right side, front, and back 4' wide. making the middle of the room higher. Not sure if that would look weird or not... but the drop across the back would give me a spot to mount a projector if I did a built in shelf...

Forgot to ask. Is the center of toilet drain pipe supposed to be 15.5 inches from wall? If so and I'm only 17.5 inches how do I stud the wall behind? 2×4 would be to thick...

Do they say why you can't use the wall space? Not doubting it, just wondering why. I'm guessing it has something to do with fire prevention?

mold, cold air, condensation

typical duct size for a residental house is 8'' round duck with 6'' in small rooms like bath or laundry

Bath-ISO_zps9ykqtv3s.jpg

Forgot to ask. Is the center of toilet drain pipe supposed to be 15.5 inches from wall? If so and I'm only 17.5 inches how do I stud the wall behind? 2×4 would be to thick...

Bath-ISO_zps9ykqtv3s.jpg

12 or 10" from the finished wall surface.

thanks everyone for your help. Its been a HUGE help!! I am curious how I should frame the windows. the top of the window isn't flush with the block, it sticks out a bit at the top. Attached is a picture. I should have included the bottom of the window, but below the window is block flush with the other block, so its like from the bottom of the window up kinda juts in toward the window.

20170107_193207.jpg

Toilet looks fine, depending on size of shower unit, it may want to be in the room before the interior wall are built.

They wood framed the area above the window, the easiest is to match what is there when you frame the new wall, just match the framing to the window, two studs on each side top and bottom plates for window level with their framing. And add short studs to continue your lay out below the window.
Every door and window gets 2 studs on each side

In my media room, I actually want to drop the ceiling all around the room. So if my current drop for air ducts is 4' wide, I would make a drop on the right side, front, and back 4' wide. making the middle of the room higher. Not sure if that would look weird or not... but the drop across the back would give me a spot to mount a projector if I did a built in shelf...

If you want to do the drops anyway then it would be easy to run Hvac and wiring in there instead of doing anything to the ceiling.

Thanks!

I'm about to purchase all the lumber. Menards has it all on sale, PLUS 11% rebate. Is Menards lumber ok to work with? They are by FAR cheaper than local lumber yard (menards $1.72 for 2x4x8 vs $3.02 for lumber yard for 2x4x8) Menards rating is Grade: Stud or Better

Menards is a direct competitor of HD and Lowe's, and also sells groceries.

Thanks!

I'm about to purchase all the lumber. Menards has it all on sale, PLUS 11% rebate. Is Menards lumber ok to work with? They are by FAR cheaper than local lumber yard (menards $1.72 for 2x4x8 vs $3.02 for lumber yard for 2x4x8) Menards rating is Grade: Stud or Better

All lumber for construction has a grade stamp, you are looking for #2

Latest posts

Back