Basement Framing for HVAC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having built my own house and doing all phases myself form plans to finish work (except the concrete work) I can say keeping all city inspectors in the loop before & during construction is a good idea. Any questions I had, I went to city hall and asked the guys that would be doing the final inspection, and did things as they suggested. As inspections came & went, I didn't have one thing that needed redoing. They appreciated, that I appreciated their input.

So we need to get the whole plan going, are the windows big enough for egress. Size of window for bedroom is code for your area.

Do you need a hallway thru one room to the other, or are we cutting doorways thru existing walls.
Do you have a plan for or a location for closets.

With the drywall there a good plan for wires will be needed and some of that can be done before the walls are built so any access holes you need to cut might be just above the wall and hidden.

Oops that one came out a little small. lets try this one.

floor.jpg

Sorry don't go by window sizes. I need to measure. My builder did put egress windows in sized for a bedroom in the front right and family room on the back right. I will measure and fix that. Was it the window size you were questioning or something else?

Window in family room is 115" wide and 43" tall. Bedroom is 60" wide 43" tall. They do open.

Here we need the part of the window that opens to be something like 6 sq ft in each room bedroom, if you don't have a window, you can't build a closet.

Oh ok. The bedroom with closet opens and the open part is about 30" x 40"

You need to submit this plan for plan check, before, you build because there are specific requirements for lighting, that do not appear to be addressed in some of the rooms.

Why the excessive recp. in the family and bedroom?

Right now nothing is done. Just cement block walls. The only existing studs are around the stairs, and the 1 wall that separates the utility room and the media room. So the layout i uploaded is what it will be when done. I'm starting with the media room for now.

It the utility room the mechanical room too, is there rough in plumbing for the bathroom and where is the breaker box?

Sorry I'm bad with terms. Yes utility is mechanical. Water heater, furnace, breaker box, etc. They did run water pipes over to the future bathroom before the ceiling drywall went in. They had to do drywall the ceiling due to new fire code.

Sorry I'm bad with terms. Yes utility is mechanical. Water heater, furnace, breaker box, etc. They did run water pipes over to the future bathroom before the ceiling drywall went in. They had to do drywall the ceiling due to new fire code.

Drains in the floor for toilet and bath?
So when you do one room at a time, best to start furthest from breaker box.
You will have to plan all the wiring and run lines at least out to the end of what you are finishing. or plan on running a sub panel for the rest of the basement.

And you have heat and return ducts below the drywall ceiling?

Yes floor drains for tub and toilet are there. Darn, maybe I'll just work on framing for now then and just do it all at the same time, then just do electric etc all at once instead of a room at a time. Makes sense. Yes, hvac ducts are in ceiling already. But only 1 cold air return in the whole basement. So they will need to add that, but the main line runs right over all walls that cold air returns would need to be added to.

Soo just so I am clear, The two bedrooms are on each side of the bathroom and there is a window that is not showing on the plan?
Do you have ceiling lights, in the right places and the switches?
Is the HVAC running close past the stair case wall?

Oh no. Just 1 bedroom down there. The area to the other side if the bathroom will be unfinished storage.

Latest posts

Back