california going dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad the min wage thread got closed. I had so many good thoughts about that and the rainfall and so many other things in your state I wanted to share.

The guy measuring the snow pack on the news the other night was almost in tears having to say it was an average snow pack.

Too bad the min wage thread got closed. I had so many good thoughts about that and the rainfall and so many other things in your state I wanted to share.

The guy measuring the snow pack on the news the other night was almost in tears having to say it was an average snow pack.

he blamed the drought on Bush, :rofl:

Just wanted to bring this thread back. Seems it hasn't stopped raining this winter. Last winter we had one measurable day of rain and that was about it. This year Noth but water and the weeks forecast is rain. This is great for California but not for me trying to get stuff done.

Lakes are overflowing and towns are being evacuated due to to much water. I bet the price of water will go up again just like last year when we had no water they went up due to shortage now they will go up to manage the excess.

Seems like water is one of the things tax payers notice the least when prices go up. Water doesn't cost the government much at all compared to what they all charge for it.
Just another disguised tax.

Seems like water is one of the things tax payers notice the least when prices go up. Water doesn't cost the government much at all compared to what they all charge for it.
Just another disguised tax.

The cost of the system has to come into that calculation

Depends on how much of what we pay in bills and taxes goes to pay for these items and how much goes to stuff that has nothing to do with them. Our road taxes don't pay for our roads.

Well I was wondering if that dam is even paid for yet $1.3B 1968

The Hoover dam only cost 49 million in 1936.

We are just lucky we built this one in 1968 now it would cost a few trillion I bet.

I remember on my local news last year there was a small town that wanted to build a better and bigger dam in their town. It would cost about 1 million to build. By the time government got involved and with all the studies and reports they had to do along with different government permits it was about a 15 million dollar project. They scrapped it because they could come up with more than a couple million. This new dam would have held enough water to serve that town and a couple neighboring towns for something like a year or two without rain.

Thinking back on this thread and as I am currently switching over a golf course to reclaimed water because their wells are suffering. Last year we would get fined for using so many gallons of water all the while this one of many golf courses is pumping over a million gallons a day to water the grass. The same water district that fines me for having a green lawn hooked up a domestic line to fill the golf course lake last year and it is still filling until I am done with this project. Two 2" lines running at 150 PSI 24 hours a day. It is ok for them to water an entire golf course at over a million gallons a day because they are paying the bill yet the typical home owner can't water his 10 foot by 20 foot lawn? Doesn't make much sense to me. We don't need golf courses.

but do we really lose the water, or does it just recharge the aquafier? How much of the water is the same water that dinosaurs crapped in?

but do we really lose the water, or does it just recharge the aquafier? How much of the water is the same water that dinosaurs crapped in?
Exactly what I have been preaching most of my life. They tell you to conserve water as we are running short. Well; where is it going??? We aren't shipping it out of the atmosphere in space ships. It's the same water the dinosaurs drank and did other things in.
The problem with wells it that they haven't figured a way to get rich from it without being too obvious.

Exactly what I have been preaching most of my life. They tell you to conserve water as we are running short. Well; where is it going??? We aren't shipping it out of the atmosphere in space ships. It's the same water the dinosaurs drank and did other things in.
The problem with wells it that they haven't figured a way to get rich from it without being too obvious.

I agree. We might go a little time without it replenishing an area but it is always here and always will be.

Call it a distribution problem. Although humans don't really control the distribution. Rains in CA, droughts in the northeast, floods in Bangladesh, etc.

Sad that we can not upgrade our infrastructure to hold onto more of it for when we need it.

Back