california going dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two things holding me in this state, one is my grandparents, they are the only family I have left here and don't want me to leave until after they are gone, second is my company, I do well here so it would be a huge transition to start that over somewhere else although it could be done. If it weren't for those two reasons I would be gone already, I truly do not overly enjoy living here, I hate the fact that if I want to go anywhere I have to sit in traffic for hours, it's hot as hell in the summer and we get no rain in the winter (Arid desert). The cost of living in through the roof and there is no neighborly love, no one gets together to do anything anymore, just a bunch of grumpy *** people living next to each other and everyone is so far over extended trying to keep up with the Jones that we all work 7 days a week or can't afford to go out and do anything because of all the fancy crap we own. It's really quite depressing watching it all the time. People out here live to work and thats it. Where else can you make 45 bucks an hour and your wife make good money and you still can't afford to go out to dinner on a saturday night? Where else is it more important to pay 5 grand a month for a house and 1500 a month in cars to not be able to afford to drive them, it's crazy. Living in SoCal is truly not as enjoyable as some make it out to be. I will be done with my little rant now. I just hope I can get out before my daughters realize what they are growing up in.

The problem with that..is there is always one more excuse. I have wanted to leave here for about 10 years..but I am so involved with many Town projects, and the good people here in Town..I dont think we will go until we retire. I live with 80 acres of land, people wave at my rig when I go down the road..and I dont leave town much for work...I eat lunch at the same booth with 5 other guys every stinkin day... and more come in depending on jobs and the day. We get more done at the lunch counter than our small town selectmen do in a month.
Living for your belongings is not living... you need to visit your relatives when you can, and do what makes you happy...or live with the misery you call life.
I would never live in a congested, hot and lifeless area...Get out and dont think twice...or your stuck .. but thats just my opinion.:2cents:

Where I am here in Florida was a sleepy little town 20 some years ago. Now, they are building houses (not homes) so fast that if you don't drive down the street every day, you'll get lost. Traffic everywhere. Where two lanes were more than enough, now six aren't even close to enough.

We have had water cops here for many years. The homeowners associations tell you your grass has to be green and the in trying to please them, you water on the wrong day and the water cops fine you.

That's why I live in the boonies. I water when I want which is hardly never with manual valves and nobody bothers me. "YET"

What is really weird is that before I went into the Army in 1968, I went to LA for 3 months to goof off. Holy crap, the traffic was horrendous then, even with 6, 8, hell I don't know maybe even 10 lanes on some highways. What's it like now??? I can't imagine!

Traffic is plain horrible here. I live about 50 miles from LA and at minimum it takes about two hours to get there. Getting home in the afternoon takes 3-4 hours sometimes. There is traffic everywhere no matter what direction you go. I have a major interchange about 14 miles from my house and it regularly takes an hour to get through it.

If you look at the big picture this state is really not all that desirable to live in. But... It is still the land of opportunity, you can be or do anything you want out here. Where else can you become a millionaire over night and loose it all the next day to be right back on top next year.

Wow, so it is almost as bad as I expected it to be 47 years later. I get mad now because I have to sit at a four way stop with 10 cars in front of me when it used to be nobody in front. Just pull up, stop and go. But 2 hours for a 45 minute trip, I don't think so.

It is a little tough to become a millionaire overnight here. But then again you don’t need a million to have a nice life. We bought a nice 3 bed 2 bath fixer up house for 24k in a quiet little to town with a good fishing river across the street. I drive 30 miles to work but it’s only a 40 minute drive. The ones that pass me get there quicker. In summer all the food you need you can get at the road side farmers stands. Dozen sweet corn is still 2 bucks.

The Amish tell me they think we move to fast.

Sweet corn in our markets usually will run 3 for a buck, but only when it is on sale.

and it gets up to .69 cents an ear or more.

I really need to start traveling more to see the country, I would really love to raise my kids elsewhere but it is difficult when I don't know where elsewhere is yet. I hear a lot of good about a lot of places and even just visiting isn't enough but it's a start. I would love to buy something and get it paid off before I leave.

I'm kind of nerdy in this aspect. But did you guys know that the Sahara desert , the largest desert in the world , was a lush tropical region 10,000 years ago? Climate change is real , but , imo , not the way fear mongering governments portray it. Just another way to tax. I'm not so convinced on the whole man made doom side.

I'm in Buffalo ny , I I'm thinking I'm done with winters! I wonder where in the world has better climate? And I wonder do I ever hear of anything bad in south america? What if I worked my butt off to plow a small field , raise 3.chickens , have a goat for milk.....is that guy happy? .....does having cable TV and a new car aND a nice house equal happiness and quality of life.

It's just a question , because I don't know?

With climate change we mostly think of oil and coal and what it does, which is bad enough but there used to be alot of trees to scrub the air of all that stuff but we have lost 50% of that world wide.
Never mind the politics, do your own research. WE can't beleive that 90% of scientests are quacks. China and India are leaving us in the dust for alternatives to oil and coal.
http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm#.VSyFwJtGSzk

I'm a believer that good family and friends with a decent roof over your head is what make the good life. I could live in a hut if my family was happy and I was surrounded by good people.

That being said we have great weather if you don't like the cold. Central and northern ca are beautiful. Me personally I would be ok with snow if I had a beautiful summer. It's no fun to enjoy if your stuck inside with the air on. I guess the same could be said for winter too.

China and India are not leaving us in the dust with anything except at how much coal and oil they are burning and how unclean they are burning it.

As to CO2 and plant life the people who grow things indoors in greenhouses understand the benefits of CO2. Few links below

Buffalo: I know the question of happiness you ask. Happiness is where you find it. I don’t think it is in a location or with a standard of living.

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-co2-atmosphere.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...e-carbon-dioxide-than-previously-thought.html

http://www.livescience.com/44330-jurassic-dinosaur-carbon-dioxide.html

http://www.novabiomatique.com/hydroponics-systems/plant-555-gardening-with-co2-explained.cfm

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/05...only-a-big-yawn-climate-depot-special-report/

https://www.hydrofarm.com/resources/articles/co2_enrichment.php

Traffic is plain horrible here. I live about 50 miles from LA and at minimum it takes about two hours to get there. Getting home in the afternoon takes 3-4 hours sometimes. There is traffic everywhere no matter what direction you go. I have a major interchange about 14 miles from my house and it regularly takes an hour to get through it.

If you look at the big picture this state is really not all that desirable to live in. But... It is still the land of opportunity, you can be or do anything you want out here. Where else can you become a millionaire over night and loose it all the next day to be right back on top next year.

Just try and paint something with oil based paint:rofl:

The city I worked at was forced to paint the red curbs with water based paints. Once it rained, they had to go out and re-paint. Stupid Kommiefornia rules....

They can do that because it isn't their money. If they need more, they add a new fee!

Can't buy quality materials in California. Even our lumber has tags stating it will cause cancer.

Can't buy quality materials in California. Even our lumber has tags stating it will cause cancer.

Our lumber has the same tags. They say the wood only causes cancer in California. That’s why I’m staying here.

On NPR this morning they did a thing on what farmers get water in California. I didn’t realize it goes by permits that go back 100 or more years. In this one case one farmers grandfather was one of the first to apply for water rights so he gets millions of gallons all he can use because he is “grandfathered in” literally. The farm across the road shut off totally.

They don’t call it the left coast for nothing.

Makes no sense does it. I have been following the news and the only ones who are being made to cut down are farmers and average homeowners

Latest posts

Back