Deck Repair and Making Sense of What's There Now

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RE 21 & 22; This is a profile and allows you 2 face options; 2x6 Douglas Fir Tongue and Groove Decking

Using bits similar to these; DEWALT Steel Countersink Set (3-Piece) DW2535 - The Home Depot

The screws are driven at a 45 degree angle on the tongue side and the elastomeric is placed in the grove, then melded together.

It appears in the photos that the deteriorated layer is 2X, so after placing a membrane, install there new 2X.

There are a number of 2X species available, so consider durability, finish, appearance for your aesthetics

Do you see what I mean with regard to joist size? The N-S joists appear to be shallower than E-W joists.What happens at the transition for joists running N-S from joists running E-W? Also if there is no joist transition under the LR (E-W) wall section I see no way the porch and LR floors can be the same level unless the rotted material is below the top of the joists. Do the N-S joists span the width of the house w/o additional support. We have to resolve the substructure situation before considering driving any screws.

Last edited:
Do you see what I mean with regard to joist size? The N-S joists appear to be shallower than E-W joists.What happens at the transition for joists running N-S from joists running E-W? Also if there is no joist transition under the LR (E-W) wall section I see no way the porch and LR floors can be the same level unless the rotted material is below the top of the joists. Do the N-S joists span the width of the house w/o additional support. We have to resolve the substructure situation before considering driving any screws.
A tape measured dimensions would help, and while not shown, I going to assume that there is a nailer where the joists change directions an depth, and while also not shown, I'm going to assume there is a doubler either beneath the door-wall, or the return wall.

A tape measured dimensions would help, and while not shown, I going to assume that there is a nailer where the joists change directions an depth, and while also not shown, I'm going to assume there is a doubler either beneath the door-wall, or the return wall.
That doesn't agree with the N-S joists being continuous N-S (parallel to street) under LR and porch‽

But are they. She said they change directions.

But are they. She said they change directions.
Thanks, I see what you are saying. I must have gotten a misinterpretation that all joists under the first story gable were N-S and the rest of the house E-W. That should be easy to confirm in the basement as the porch area should be boxed by doubled 2x (?). I'm assuming the street runs N-S so flooring boards inside the house would parallel the street. The support column becomes the hardest part of the task.

Last edited:
She's fairly good at posting info, but it would certainly help with some orientation noted.

Homes of that era usually have some neat architectural arches and trim inside.

A lot of skills that few, today, will even venture into.

A lot of skills that few, today, will even venture into.
This is exactly why I've made so many posts on this forum! It's very difficult for me to find good information when making any repairs. It's a beautiful Craftsman style home and most of it is in good condition but there are a lot of smaller things that need attention.

Okay, I just took another look from the basement and did find a small section of X bracing between some of the joists, but I'm wondering if this was added later. They were fairly well hidden under duct work.

The joists under the porch are not the same depth as those in the rest of the house. To clarify, the joists under the front porch run east and west and measure about 5 1/2" deep, 18" on center.

The joists under the rest of the house are about 7 1/4" deep and run north and south, parallel with the street. Here's a picture of where the porch joists meet the others (along with the unconnected wiring seen in the jbox):
Joists.jpg
I don't know if the porch is boxed by double 2x. I can't tell from looking from the basement.

Is the other end of those joists also sitting on a brick foundation wall? This doesn't look like the same corner as shown in your first post.

Okay, I just took another look from the basement and did find a small section of X bracing between some of the joists, but I'm wondering if this was added later. They were fairly well hidden under duct work.

The joists under the porch are not the same depth as those in the rest of the house. To clarify, the joists under the front porch run east and west and measure about 5 1/2" deep, 18" on center.

The joists under the rest of the house are about 7 1/4" deep and run north and south, parallel with the street. Here's a picture of where the porch joists meet the others (along with the unconnected wiring seen in the jbox):
View attachment 31275
I don't know if the porch is boxed by double 2x. I can't tell from looking from the basement.

If you could add a note, say, front or side, so that we can orientate ourselves, were we to stop by with a picnic basket, for instance, as the side would be 1rst step issue.

Sorry, this is prolly off topic. I saw some pictures similar to your house where flooring boards in entryway, LR and DR paralleled the street (indicating joists 90° to the street) but surprisingly the flooring in the kitchen was 90° to that of the DR. It made me wonder if a transition in joist direction or spacers occurred due to framing at basement stairs. It causes me to wonder about support pier locations if any (my curiosity sometimes gets me off track).

Back on track, the stairs may have somehow impacted joist hanging in the entryway/porch transition as well.

Last edited:
Sorry, this is prolly off topic. I saw some pictures similar to your house where flooring boards in entryway, LR and DR paralleled the street (indicating joists 90° to the street) but surprisingly the flooring in the kitchen was 90° to that of the DR. It made me wonder if a transition in joist direction or spacers occurred due to framing at basement stairs. It causes me to wonder about support pier locations if any (my curiosity sometimes gets me off track).

Back on track, the stairs may have somehow impacted joist hanging in the entryway/porch transition as well.
The stairs are not anywhere near the porch, unless you're referring to the porch stairs but I don't think you are.

If you could add a note, say, front or side, so that we can orientate ourselves, were we to stop by with a picnic basket, for instance, as the side would be 1rst step issue.
I'll go back and see if I can edit those posts to add directions

Is the other end of those joists also sitting on a brick foundation wall? This doesn't look like the same corner as shown in your first post.
The first picture I posted from the basement shows the view when looking up and towards the front of the porch. The last picture shows the view when looking at the side of the porch that is between the porch and the front room, and I posted it so you could see how those joists running parallel with the street intersect with the rest of the joists that run perpendicular with the street.

Here is the view from the other side of those joists, where you can see them sitting on the brick foundation:
Front porch 6.jpg
(Left outer edge of front porch, next to driveway, joists running e/w and parallel to the street) (I say left as if standing on the porch with your back to the front door)

Rather than going back to edit previous pictures, I'm just going to post them all here with directions added. References to left and right are as if standing on the front porch with your back to the entry door, looking out at the street.

Front porch 3.jpg
Left side of picture shows the joists instersecting the brick foundation on the left side of the porch and bottom of the picture is in line with the front of the porch. Joists are parallel with the street.

Front porch 5.jpg
These are the joists in the front room to the right of the porch facing towards the front of the house, perpendicular to the street.

Front porch 6.jpg
This shows the joists under the porch intersecting with the foundation on the left side of the porch (parallel with the street)

Joists.jpg
This view is of the right side of the porch where the joists intersect with those of the front room (and rest of the house). The 2 parallel joists are parallel with the street and the joist they intersect with is perpendicular to the street.

Hopefully that helps you orient yourself a little better! These pictures show the front, left and right sides under the porch as well as the front room to the right of the porch. The only picture I haven't taken would be that of the back side of the porch. Let me know if it would be helpful to add it.

Attachments

• Front porch 4.jpg
    Front porch 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back