Garage Tilting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s one option. Depends on the type of person you are really. I know people that would take one look at it and tear it down in a heartbeat and build something new from scratch. I know others that respect old buildings and see value in saving them or making things better. Same way if I tore it down I would be salvaging all the materials as I went others the labor to do so outweighs the savings for them and they would bring in an excavator with a claw and have it in a dumpster in 2 hours.

Only you know your abilities and how much the building is worth to you. As a side note have you talked to your insurance company about it?

Before you make the decision to remove it, first verify that you can in fact replace it, in place.
Zoning rules and required separation may be such that you cannot place the new, as close as the existing, to the dwelling. Where repairing is allowed.

This is accomplished by preparing a dimensioned plot plan of the property with all of the existing building, except the garage, located, and asking the municipality where you can place a parking structure, it's min. size.

Bud cross bracing will keep it up for the winter but depending on what is wrong, it might be just as cheap to fix it with the same 2x4s. On the other hand if you have it cross braced and it stresses somemore you may be afraid to remove those braces to fix it in the spring.

I would be afraid to try and fix it now for the same reasons. Yes I would be working to fix it this fall also.

That’s one option. Depends on the type of person you are really. I know people that would take one look at it and tear it down in a heartbeat and build something new from scratch. I know others that respect old buildings and see value in saving them or making things better. Same way if I tore it down I would be salvaging all the materials as I went others the labor to do so outweighs the savings for them and they would bring in an excavator with a claw and have it in a dumpster in 2 hours.

Only you know your abilities and how much the building is worth to you. As a side note have you talked to your insurance company about it?

I don't think insurance companies cover so called "neglect". Not saying I neglected it but that's probably what they would see it as.

Before you resign yourself to tearing it down in the spring, I'm going to again mention having a framing contractor in your area give you onsite advice rather than our online opinions.

I don't think insurance companies cover so called "neglect". Not saying I neglected it but that's probably what they would see it as.

Timing is everything.
Had you initiated a claim in spring, citing extreme snow loads, excessive melt times and pictures would have been a plus, because they will not just take your word, but will continue to take your money.

Here is another thought.
If your city and/or state has adopted the community development program, titled CDBG, you may be eligible for assistance within one or more of those programs.

You can inquire when you take your plot plan to the building dept.

I have been wrong a few times but I havn't seen anything that isn't fixable in a day or two for a couple people with a plan and maybe 2 or 3 hundred dollars.

I have been wrong a few times but I havn't seen anything that isn't fixable in a day or two for a couple people with a plan and maybe 2 or 3 hundred dollars.

Temporarily, yes.
However in this case, permanently, that won't pay for the material.

What materials you talk about that are so expensive?

Permanently;What needs to happen is the dwelling side of the garage needs to be shored up, in and out, to stabilize it.

The floor needs to be cut for the placement of a new foundation under the wall away from the dwelling..

Prior to excavating for the foundation, remove the freeze boards from the exterior and secure the wall in place.

Excavate and pour the new foundation, support and move the deflected wall back in place.

Unless you have a secret you an't shar-in?

Unless you have a secret you an't shar-in?

I will and have shared my secret.
Ask relevant questions and get the answers.

All we know right now, it it is leaning and one column has moved.

We do not know if that column caused any problem.
We do not know if all the columns are still in line with each other and level with each other.
We do not know if if the width of the ceiling is the same measurements as the width at the base.
We do know the condition of the sill beams and how much they have settled or rotted
It seems you have some of these answers, what is your secret.

I will and have shared my secret.
Ask relevant questions and get the answers.

All we know right now, it it is leaning and one column has moved.

We do not know if all the columns are still in line with each other and level with each other.
We do not know if if the width of the ceiling is the same measurements as the width at the base.
We do know the condition of the sill beams and how much they have settled or rotted
It seems you have some of these answers, what is your secret.

"All we know right now, it it is leaning and one column has moved.

We do not know if if the width of the ceiling is the same measurements as the width at the base."

Pictures 1,3 &4 answer these for me.

35yrs. experience.

"All we know right now, it it is leaning and one column has moved.

We do not know if if the width of the ceiling is the same measurements as the width at the base."

Pictures 1,3 &4 answer these for me.

35yrs. experience.

Well sir, you may be right, but I will wait for the information requested before I throw in the towel.
With all that experience you should be able to at least come up with a way to make it stable and usable for the winter on a budget. I know I can with my pittance of experience.

Well sir, you may be right, but I will wait for the information requested before I throw in the towel.
With all that experience you should be able to at least come up with a way to make it stable and usable for the winter on a budget. I know I can with my pittance of experience.

Stable and usable is i man, less than 6hrs. and less than $100.

Stable and usable is i man, less than 6hrs. and less than $100.

Now, that's a better answer and when the OP says that is what he wants to do , we can talk about it.

In the mean time I will still wait for the answers so maybe it can be fixed before winter.;)

Now, that's a better answer and when the OP says that is what he wants to do , we can talk about it.

In the mean time I will still wait for the answers so maybe it can be fixed before winter.;)

I consider it a jack-leg-laborer stop gap.

Why not, is an excuse.

Im going to get some measurements and do a little more "digging" to see if I can find anymore info for you gentlemen tomorrow. Im also going to take a look at the roof and see whats going on up there cause it seems that might be part of the issue.

Im going to get some measurements and do a little more "digging" to see if I can find anymore info for you gentlemen tomorrow. Im also going to take a look at the roof and see whats going on up there cause it seems that might be part of the issue.

While you are assembling the requested dimension, would you be so kind too drop a plum-bob at the front corner of the garage closest to the dwelling, and again at the corner of that wall where it turns 90 degrees, and include those measurements as well.

If you do not have a plum-bob, you can use a chalkline or fashion one with a string and a claw hammer.

Here are some photos. These are mostly showing the roof and how its bowing. Also, you can see in pic 10 that, that is a good place for snow to settle. I admit I did not keep up with roof racking this year. Also you can tell that the roof has a very low pitch.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Latest posts

Back