Gas Pump Display

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing is nice. Hopefully in the future I will have a 51 Ford Pickup to put it next to.

Anyone know where I can get the few missing chrome pieces to my pump?

Hey there cruzn57,
That neat old gas pump needs to go in my garage, if you are not going to use it!;)

I would put a light in her that comes on when you pull in the garage by adding a motion detector.

Now that is COOL no matter what anybody else says.:D

Hey Chris,
That gas pump you got is cool and I know it will look like a million bucks when you get her done. BTW I worked at at Chevron (Standard Oil) station as a teen. Gas was 35 cents then and we had charge accounts for our regular customers.

What parts do you need I will keep an eye out.:)

I need the chrome pieces. The last guy took it apart to rebuild it and lost a few. I will run to storage next week and see which ones I have.

The build pics I posted for this build have been moved so the images don't show now and I have been asked to repost them, so here they are.

This is what I started with. It is an original Tokeim 39 gas pump. Be sure to take everything apart with wrenches and not try to cut corners and use a cutting torch or saw as the pumps can still be holding some very old gas that could explode.

Here is the original framework that was re-used.

I made new 16 ga. front and rear face plates. The rear had no window, with only a small hole at the bottom for the electrical cord to exit. Notice the recess door area in the front.

The back

Red Oak (stained and sealed) was used to make the inside walls that attache to the original skeleton and secure the shelf adjustment strips.
Here everything has been blasted, body work completed and ready for primer.

Here it is primed, ready for paint.

The original globe light standard was reused.

More to come...

I used a recessed LCD light from Lowe's for the inside cabinet light.
You can also see how the glass shelf tracks are located.

Both the globe and cabinet light are wired together and controlled by a switch on the side of the pump.

Front and rear stainless trim pieces were soda blasted and polished with new hardware ready to be bolted back into place.

An outside frame work was made to support the red Oak floor. Here reassembly is taking place.

Right Side-the reset handle simply spins. Notice the small light switch above.

Here you see the left side. The original handle retainment is polished and reused. I made a thin stainless plate to work at a washer for the attachment screws and a machined slot to keep the spout in position. I made a handle holder to replicate the original that did not protrude into the inside wall. This piece was primed and painted black. Also a reproduction hose block was purchased as the original was not present. Due to where I wanted to place this in my shop I reversed the side of the pump to have the hose on the left.

I had a glass company cut the door glass. It is secured using simple shower door hardware with a spring loaded magnetic lock allowing access into the cabinet.
Here is the finished product.

This was a great project that most anyone could do. It took some welding, bodywork and painting. The new front and rear panels were outsourced from a sheet metal shop. Total cost was about $800. I got the idea from one of the fiberglass replicas I had seen on the internet. They sell for around $2800!

I think it is cool to take something old and thrown away and give it new life.

Cheers!
Mickm

Mickm, Thanks for the repost. I have the unit totally dismantled and will take it to be sand blasted this weekend. I am going to leave the upper works (numbers apparatus) in the machine so won't have as much display space.

Bob H.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a kit to use in my machine that will make it look like the gas is flowing through the lens?

Latest posts

Back