General overhaul...ongoing(pix!!!)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havnt had access to the net for a few weeks, so I havnt been able to update, but I finally got a few mins so here goes.

Bathroom is mostly finished, still need a shower door, but for now we are using a curtain. Bought the crown and base molding as well as the window caseing. Tile is all done, and I fixed a leak on one of the fittings below. Bathroom is just about done.
0e96f4a8.jpg

3d9c6381.jpg

Had to cut this huge hole in the side of the house to get to a leaky fitting.
6ae3597b.jpg

The fitting you see in the middle of the pic was leaking and had to get fixed. PITA!!!
58297f20.jpg

Started framing in the new utility closet.
9f0e9bec.jpg

Kim starting to lay the tile in the closet so we can install the water heater.
b3177d22.jpg

61439452.jpg

More 40$ a gallon paint.
38afe17f.jpg

Water heater installed and working like a champ.
ed7aaab0.jpg

So the bathroom is close to finished...needs molding, door, some caulking, and some finishing work...WOOHOO

Next we have the granite that will be going in the kitchen. All 3,000 dollars worth of countertop, but will be worth 6,000 on resale, if we flip this one.
e7f9c32b.jpg

Had some drywall issues in the first bedroom, that we will be using as the media room after this is all done, and we needed some attic access.
ebfd45a7.jpg

All that drywall was no good.
9284c0fb.jpg

And we have framing for a new attic door.
1d9c9f07.jpg

And last but not least my badass dog ''Chevy,'' good pic...no...
7fdd018b.jpg

Im back on my regular work shift this week, so I can work on the house every day after work. Hopefully I can keep the updates coming as we will be making much faster progress now that the meticulous crap is done. OH...we got the measurements for the kitchen cabinets done, and should have a quote by the next update. So we hope to see you next week on ''He took the deal,'' thanks for watching. Good night.

The granite countertops making you money? I'd be cautious of that. Your local market will tell you if this is a good investment to make. My guess is, you won't see that kind of return.

However, it's your house and you should do with it what you want! :)

Lookin' good.

WOW - I did not read all the post. I read the first few and then jumped to the last and saw your bathroom pictures. My first reaction was WOW. Good job. Keep up the good work. Your house is much more of a project than most homeowners are willing to try. Many would have started with a bulldozer or never started at all.

The Handyguys

Bathroom looks great. sucks about the leak.
is your floor joists just 2x4's on gravel?

Thanks for the info Quattro, Ill keep that in mind.

Handyguys, I know its alot but you really should read all the meat and potatoes, there are some funny moments, and thanks alot for the good words.

Guyod, thanks about the bathroom. The leak is now fixed, and the floor joists are 2x4s crossed atop 2x6s atop a concrete slab, or Id have just let'er leak. The ''gravel'' you saw was acctually celulose insulation we filled the floor cavity with for sound deadening and heat retention purposes.

Update coming soon, with kitchen cabinet plans.

Update...

Here are the designs for the new Kitchen. 57 linear ft of cabinets, and a whole lot of granite.
5f2425d7.jpg

c4a9d233.jpg

507a76a9.jpg

Drywall up, needs tape and mud
7ec4ff1e.jpg

Wow this looks good, I didn't see it so do you mind if I ask how much do you reckon this is all going to come to? :)

Im sorry guys, but I forgot some of the pics for the update. Ill get them up this evening.

LeeW I dont believe I have said it, but we have less than 10 thousand in the whole project so far. Somewhere around 7-8 thou. Our labor cost us nothing but time, and has really built our relationship along with the house.:D

So It's been 6 months...not bad, I still remember the old kitchen.:D
Movin along is good, and the kitchen sounds nice.

Lookin for that grand reopening....comming soon.:)

Sounds like a great project then and very rewarding work. I have always wanted to do something like it myself, maybe I will :)

let me say i just went through all the pages, looks great man, i'd have pics too of my uncles house that i was supposed to help him fix, but i broke my leg haha. so i'm a homebody not moving much. as for the big plot of land you got, i vote we go mudding.

and yo, you getting any sort of tax breaks on all these home improvements?

Thanks for reading all of it Cheapliquid. We did get a few tax breaks, but not much. Only for the LowE2 glass windows, and the upgraded insulation. The rest just improved the value of the house.

I FINALLY GOT A PIC OF ONE OF THE SNAKES. BRB!

PIX of a badass little snake. Its 100% Louisiana Water Mocasin. Extremely poisonous, and deadly up to a few large humans at one time. If I had been bitten, the house probably wouldnt get finished. Time for some snake repelent.

eca5ffb6.jpg

2cb7d503.jpg

And all grown up.
Picture043.jpg

Oh god, that would seal the deal for me. You've had big lizards, big spiders, and now big snakes. No thanks! I'll stick to my snow and cold 5 months out of the year to keep these things outta my bedroom!

Ah, its all part of living in the ''Sportsmans Paradise'':D

Only the smaller snake was at my house, the large one was a comparison photo.:eek:

Back on the topic.

I hung the towel holder, face towel ring, and tp holder yesterday.
WE OFFICIALLY MOVED IN...WOOHOO

Ill be finishing up all of the drywall, and taking some pics this week.

Got the quote for the cabinets and countertop:
57 linear ft of cabinetry, and I forget but alot of granite countertop. Came out less than 8,000 installed. Im loving that price. Gotta love family in the business.

Well we have been very busy lately but I managed to get some work on the house done. Got all the extras installed in the bathroom, and put some energy efficient daylight bulbs in the bathroom.
DSC02287_800x800.jpg

Shower is done
DSC02289_800x800.jpg

Were starting to get a bunch of crap over there. Washer and dryer is in for now till we can buy new stackables. The closet on the left still has to get reframed, and the breaker box rewired.
DSC02280_800x800.jpg

Got to do alot of taping and mudding done this weekend. Its almost finished in the kitchen and dinning room.
DSC02283_800x800.jpg

Dinning room
DSC02284_800x800.jpg

Again
DSC02260_800x800.jpg

I got that 4gang wired up. YooHoo.
DSC02255_800x800.jpg

And heres the colors for the kitchen, living room, and trim. The lighter grey adn red are for the walls, and the dark grey is for molding.
DSC02250_800x800.jpg

Back