General overhaul...ongoing(pix!!!)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok all you HRT groupies. No pics with this update, but I will do my best to get them up in a day or two. Floor is finished in the kitchen, grouted, and sealed. The cabinet installer took some measurements, and I was 3/8 of an inch high on one side of the room. A 12 foot span. Not bad for a beginner if I do say so myself.

Cabinets started going in yesterday. Ive never felt quite like I did all day yesterday. I was very ready and eager, and didnt sleep much Sunday night. Then the cabinets showed up, and it was almost surreal. Like...this isnt happening, but Im looking right at it. This type of thing never happens for my wife and I, we just usually cannot afford what we want, but anyway.

The installers were a trip, imagine a short chubby guy, running around singing Kelly Clarkson, and Carrie Underwood songs all day.

We had one hickup. Two of the cabinets were made 5 inches too long, they are already in process of being cut down and fixed. They will be installed this evening.

I took lots of pics, and Ill get them up soon. I promise. OH the new cabinets are beautiful, and Im glad my wife made me stick with the original color we chose.:eek: :D

lol, sounds like a funny installation. what kind of counter top you putting in? any back splash or anything?

The countertop will be 3cm black pearl granite with a 4inch backsplash of the same. Youll have to look through the thread as I dont remember the page, but there is a pic of it in there somewhere.

Ok guys huge update. Imma keep the comments short so the pics do the talking. This was a 8,000 dollar weekend.

Finally got the bathtub faucet finished up. Took a while to find one we liked, and got this one from overstock.com for $150 bux.
DSC02357.jpg

And more tile layed out and spaced
DSC02360.jpg

This one finally got some of the true color of the tiles
DSC02363.jpg

NO kidding these three will be the ONLY CUTS IN THE WHOLE ROOM.beginners luck
DSC02364.jpg

DSC02385.jpg

the finish on the cabinets
DSC02379.jpg

Tigerwood baby...yeah
DSC02386.jpg

Inside the drawers are finished also.
DSC02387.jpg

still more
DSC02399.jpg

and more
DSC02404.jpg

And the crown, simple, effective, I like it.
DSC02401.jpg

There were two cabinets that had to be cut down 5 inches, as one of the measurements was off, but overall these are top quality. Not a drop of puddy anywhere, and the installer did pullups, well one, on them to show me they are strong.

The pics really do not do them justice, they are beautiful.

Our granite was sold, and the one that got in to replace ours was wrong. So we just went to the yard and picked the one we wanted. We decided on Brazillian ubatuba that had a hint of blue in it. It is really something to see. And I promise Ill show you. It looks similar to this...only more black, less gold.
ubatuba-large.jpg

So, How we doing?

wow, that kitchen looks beautiful. I like your crown, its simple but definitely makes the cabinets look more finished. Keep up the good work!!!!
Justin

Hey guys, I just found out that my wife is pregnant. Imma be a dad.:eek: Isnt that scary. I guess I gotta pick it up on the house project eh.:cool:

congrats!!! being a dad is so much fun. Yeah you better finish up the areas your at and start working on the nursery:D

Congratulations to you, and your wife.:)

Get it done now, you won't be getting any rest later.:eek:

Congrats!

I remember JUST finishing our major kitchen remodel before our baby was born. I think I had 2 weeks to spare. We're talking NO sink, NO fridge, and NO stove! We did have a microwave though!

Good luck!

Well we had a little scare over the weekend about the pregnancy being a "tubal," but we are pretty sure after a bunch of tests that its going to be ok. Its just a little early to see on ultrasound.

As for the kitchen the granite should be coming today, or tomorrow at the latest.:D I cannot wait. We hand picked this slab, and changed from black pearl to ubatuba, but Im telling you this ubatuba is waaaaaaay different. Ill have pics ASAP.;)

Oh and quattro, sink is included, stove is bought, and I have a shop fridge we can use for a while. Its big enough to keep a months food in, so we should be alright. Plus we have a microwave, and a used dishwasher. Were all set.

Ok people heres the latest. They came and installed the granite last weekend, and we dropped in the cooktop, sink, and borrowed an old dish washer for now. With the baby on the way we will have to control our spending on appliances now.

cabinets all finished up.
DSC02410.jpg

again.
DSC02411.jpg

again
DSC02411.jpg

first piece going in
DSC02413.jpg

love that color
DSC02414.jpg

and now with flash
DSC02415.jpg

macro
DSC02416.jpg

2nd piece
DSC02419.jpg

again closer
DSC02421.jpg

Last piece
DSC02422.jpg

cutout for sink
DSC02423.jpg

that black spot is "black quartz" supposedly somewhat rare, and we got to keep the cut off part to make a cutting board with.
DSC02425.jpg

Back