Hobbies other than home repair.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I paint them. (I can't STAND those "Snap-Tite" models that are painted and snap together!!!). Testor's (I think the best) and Pactra make paints; available online or at Hobby Lobby. I also just bought a can of Rustoleum (big can) because I have a '69 GTO model and couldn't find that "GTO orange" color anywhere. Was at WalMart and saw a can of Rustoleum that is very close to the orange I want. It should work for the model okay, although it might not be as glossy as the regular model paint. I try for as much realism as possible in the models.

I've been antique shopping, and so greatly appreciate the way furniture used to be hand crafted. Very difficult to find that now; I'd love to be able to do it. None of that "Ashley Furniture" stuff!

Guys, the handcrafts are awesome! I wish I had even half that talent!!!

Hobbies I currently participate in (WHEN I have time!)
1) Homebrew beer.
2) Gardening (my specialty is hot peppers and heirloom tomatoes). I just planted some hops rhizomes, so I should have fresh hops for a brew this fall!
3) Plastic model cars (mostly 1/24th and 1/25th scale). Been doing this since I was a young kid - around 10.
4) Bowling. Not very good at it, but I enjoy it!
5) Minor wood projects, such as bird houses. Again; not very good, but I enjoy it.

Projects I would LIKE to do:
1) Fly. I've been up in small planes several times and really enjoy it. Expensive, though - way out of my disposable income.
2) Fix up an old muscle car - 1970 GTO Judge is my all-time favorite, but any GTO or 442 would suffice. If only I can find one within my budget!!!
3) BUILD a car - check out this: http://www.factoryfive.com/
4) Handcraft furniture. I have ZERO experience, so I would have to learn everything.

Through all of life, there are many hills and turns. Every once in awhile, you land EXACTLY where you want to be! Thanks, guys, for letting me share!

I did that learn to fly thing, most pilots worry about those cumulonimbus clouds up here we have to watch out for those other ones cumulongranite.

I lost interest, there is only so many times you want to fly somewhere for coffee or lunch.:p

Guys, the handcrafts are awesome! I wish I had even half that talent!!!

Hobbies I currently participate in (WHEN I have time!)
1) Homebrew beer.
2) Gardening (my specialty is hot peppers and heirloom tomatoes). I just planted some hops rhizomes, so I should have fresh hops for a brew this fall!
3) Plastic model cars (mostly 1/24th and 1/25th scale). Been doing this since I was a young kid - around 10.
4) Bowling. Not very good at it, but I enjoy it!
5) Minor wood projects, such as bird houses. Again; not very good, but I enjoy it.

Projects I would LIKE to do:
1) Fly. I've been up in small planes several times and really enjoy it. Expensive, though - way out of my disposable income.
2) Fix up an old muscle car - 1970 GTO Judge is my all-time favorite, but any GTO or 442 would suffice. If only I can find one within my budget!!!
3) BUILD a car - check out this: http://www.factoryfive.com/
4) Handcraft furniture. I have ZERO experience, so I would have to learn everything.

Through all of life, there are many hills and turns. Every once in awhile, you land EXACTLY where you want to be! Thanks, guys, for letting me share!

That Factory 5 looks cool.. Ive built a few winning race cars in my day... these could be fun... Thanks!

That Factory 5 looks cool.. Ive built a few winning race cars in my day... these could be fun... Thanks!
You're welcome. Yup - I love the Cobra replica, the coupe that is based on the Cobra, and the GT - all are cool, and for $15 - $30 grand, you can have a really sweet car that is unique. While you're at it, check out vintageair.com - they make A/C and Heat/A/C units to put air in almost any vehicle. I just went to their open house, and saw how they're manufactured. Really good - they've been in business since the late '70s.

Speaking of the Pinewood Derby, I have kept that little hand carved I made when I was 9 or 10, and it has gone to the various houses throughout my life. I finally tossed it into the trash last week.

I finally got out the fabric glue and am attempting to glue a tab on to my shoe so I can grab it and pull when putting the shoes on so the heel doesn't fold down. I tried to hold it in place with frog tape, but the tape is not sticky enough. The fabric glue also didn't want to hold so I had to re-apply it about 3 times before I found a chip clip to hold it in place. Has to dry 2 hours. I'm still planning to stitch it afterward to hold it tight. I hope the handheld sewing machine thing can raise the needle high enough-- or else I'll have to hand stitch it. I'll have to do a test on some spare fabric or something to see how the handheld feels when using it.
tumblr_opxfuk67QM1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

2nd image came out blurry bc my cat decided to headbutt the phone right as I was taking the picture & then he wouldn't leave me alone so I gave up on trying to get another shot.
tumblr_opxfuk67QM1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

These are new shoes-- I wore the same pair for 15 years and the soles kept coming off so I finally caved and got some cheap shoes with built in memory foam insoles. I missed the pull tab on the back so I'm adding one.

I finally got out the fabric glue and am attempting to glue a tab on to my shoe so I can grab it and pull when putting the shoes on so the heel doesn't fold down. I tried to hold it in place with frog tape, but the tape is not sticky enough. The fabric glue also didn't want to hold so I had to re-apply it about 3 times before I found a chip clip to hold it in place. Has to dry 2 hours. I'm still planning to stitch it afterward to hold it tight. I hope the handheld sewing machine thing can raise the needle high enough-- or else I'll have to hand stitch it. I'll have to do a test on some spare fabric or something to see how the handheld feels when using it.
tumblr_opxfuk67QM1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

2nd image came out blurry bc my cat decided to headbutt the phone right as I was taking the picture & then he wouldn't leave me alone so I gave up on trying to get another shot.
tumblr_opxfuk67QM1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

These are new shoes-- I wore the same pair for 15 years and the soles kept coming off so I finally caved and got some cheap shoes with built in memory foam insoles. I missed the pull tab on the back so I'm adding one.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/shoe-goo-shoe-repair-protective-coating-295ml/6000191325754

I wish they'd had that when I looked. As it is, the glue I got was completely useless. The needle was too long on the handheld sewing machine so I couldn't get it over and when I tried to hand sew it bent the needle.

I'm going to see if I can find shorter sturdy machine needles and that shoe goop stuff.

For years I have heard about this shoe goo. Last year was givin some to try and it worked good.

Welding - Mostly Mig, family and friends give me more than enough projects to fill every extra hour I have. Window well covers seem to be requested the most, but I've made guitar pedal boards, Gun Safe leveling platforms, tool repair, tool box modification, desk legs, and those are the projects I can remember.
Metal turning - Bought a "new to me" lathe this Christmas and I just finished rewiring everything for a VFD. I didn't have 3 phase in my shop so it all had to be rewired. It's pretty much done but I have a couple of VFD settings I need to figure out. My first project is going to turn a knob for my cheapo bench press. One of the 3 knobs broke off and I just got in some 6062AL I'm going to turn it out of.
Yardwork - I have a John Deere tractor I'm partial to just hopping for a whole day. Either dragging my road/firebreak or putting the cutter on and chopping down the weeds. I could probably sit on that thing all weekend and just drive. Now I just need a free weekend. Sometimes I listen to pod casts other times I just think.

Last edited:
Back in the mid 70's I did a custom paint job on a pull truck. I recently got a call from the guys son. Seems the owner passed away and the son took possession of the truck. He hunted me down and contacted me a few months ago. We are planning a trip back home in a couple weeks to see grandparents, so I engraved this plaque from an old 70's photo I have. Did a little photoshop work and dropped in a new background since this photo was taken with a steel building as the background. Sure hope I can connect with him, maybe get some present day photos. The truck has been stored the last few years and I'm told the paint job is still in good shape.

Slab Grabber Engraving.jpg

If like to see the progress on that one.

It seems my new hobby is cutting weeds

That's awesome gary.

Thanks Chris. I did connect with the owner, we swapped phone numbers, so I think I'll be seeing the truck in a little over a week. Hard to believe that was over 40 years ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back