How to do the wiring to this center island?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I have two 12-2 (w/ ground) Romex, each coming from a 20 Amp breaker.

One will power two outlets. A GFCI on the side of the island, and an outlet in the sink cabinet for the garbage disposal.

I am confused what to do with the wiring going from J-Box --> Switch --> Outlet --> Garbage Disposal.

0126181643.jpg

0126181424a.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe should have done at least three circuits.

The center island will require receptacles for SAC (20amp).

Wish I had something helpful to contribute. Wiring is something I need to learn about. But I want to let you know I'm wishing you good luck and hoping people can help you and that it will turn out fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished layout when you're done.

SAC - small appliance circuit = required dedicated circuits for the kitchen counter space.

What type of box goes on top of that exposed conduit? I've heard that gray boxes like the one in the attached picture are for exterior only. Should it be a blue box?

Exiting the box, I would like the Romex to be in some type of conduit. What type should I use? Something metal?

Should I not have used this type of conduit for interior use? What should I have used?

0128181655.jpg

Any box rated for exterior can be used inside as well.

Is this the correct wiring diagram for 2 outlets in a series?

What do I use to attach flexible metal conduit to the weatherproof plastic box?

how-wire-outlet-x2-outlets-series-pagespeed-vfuuvogaxu-representation-graceful-wiring-diagram-0.jpg

Last edited:
That works or you can just use the two screws on the first receptacle instead of wire nuts.

That works or you can just use the two screws on the first receptacle instead of wire nuts.

Do you know the solution to this?

I have a 1" PVC conduit coming out of the ground. It needs to go to a weatherproof box. They have boxes that are 1", but they only have 1 exit. They have boxes with 2 exits, but they are 1/2" and 3/4". They don't seem to have an adapter to go from 1" to either 1/2" or 3/4".

Also, I am going to buy empty flexible metal conduit and put it around the Romex. How do I attach the wires to the weatherproof box? Do I use a clamp connector?

Edit: Apparently, I'm not supposed to run Romex in conduit, so I'll strip the yellow cover off so I can get individual wires.

0129181209.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently, I'm not supposed to run Romex in conduit, so I'll strip the yellow cover off so I can get individual wires.

By code you are not allowed to do that. Even if the wire inside may be the exact same wire it is not marked on the outside as such and allowed for that type of use.

Buy the right kind of wire for what you are doing.

By code you are not allowed to do that. Even if the wire inside may be the exact same wire it is not marked on the outside as such and allowed for that type of use.

Buy the right kind of wire for what you are doing.

And the right kind of wire is what? Individual 12 gauge wires?

How do I transition from a FSE (weatherproof) box to flexible conduit? Is this even possible?

I think I have everything figured out except for one thing.

How to adapt my 1" elbow coming out of the ground to a 3/4" FSCC box? You would think there would be adapters/reducers on the shelf, but there's not.

From there, I have other plastic weatherproof boxes along with 3/4" Carflex conduit.

0126181424a.jpg

0129181633.jpg

Do you know the solution to this?

I have a 1" PVC conduit coming out of the ground. It needs to go to a weatherproof box. They have boxes that are 1", but they only have 1 exit. They have boxes with 2 exits, but they are 1/2" and 3/4". They don't seem to have an adapter to go from 1" to either 1/2" or 3/4".

Also, I am going to buy empty flexible metal conduit and put it around the Romex. How do I attach the wires to the weatherproof box? Do I use a clamp connector?

Edit: Apparently, I'm not supposed to run Romex in conduit, so I'll strip the yellow cover off so I can get individual wires.

farmerjohn1324 you need to listen to what some people reply to you with before you just go off doing what you want and then when you get jammed up you ask for alternatives from us or ask us how we can help you back yourself up out of a corner you just painted yourself into.

Listen: bud16415 made it quite clear to you here
"By code you are not allowed to do that. Even if the wire inside may be the exact same wire it is not marked on the outside as such and allowed for that type of use."

If you are going to ask for advice and what code is and if you can do something and we take our time and answer you with our knowledge you can't just toss it off to the side and just take bits and pieces of what we say only when it is convenient for you. In doing this you are just wasting our time. It is quite obvious that you really don't care about safety but that you just want to get answers to get your work done and get paid.

Buy the right kind of wire for what you are doing. <--This is what bud16415 said. You just tossed it off as it had no meaning at all and just told us what you will do. Maybe, would you maybe be at all interested as to why bud16415 said this? No; well this is it. Conductors in sheathing as in Romex are not rated for damp/wet locations. The conductors in romex are only thhn where as the individual conductors that bud16415 told you were needed are rated at thwn and it is for good reason. They may fail in the future - why? Not telling you because apparently you just don't care. That's right go for the more inexpensive possible dangerous way to do it even though you were advised what not to do. You won't be living there.

You need to start learning some of the basics if you are going to be doing as much wiring as you are doing. You will also need to start planning things out in advance instead of telling us what you already installed and now that you find you are in a fix you need help.

First off I said that two circuits are not enough for the island because of the need of SAC. you asked what it was that I referred to and another member answered you but you never said; "Oh, then I better make sure I have three circuits". Did you look up what a small appliance circuit even is and the reason for it and why you can fail inspection instantly for not having it. Also, along with the fact that stating you were only running the two circuits to the island that you failed to plan ahead thinking even logically that receptacles may be needed at the island.

Example of what I am stating. You use what ever size conduit you wanted to, ran romex thru it and then ask your questions. Way off base and now we have to spend our time trying to correct it and most of the times you don't even head our advice and do as you please anyway.

Here bud16415 tells you what you need to use in the way of the type of insulation for the conductors and you are talking about amp rating of the conductors - apples and oranges not even related. If you planned this out you would know the answer to your own questions. a SAC needs to be what amp rating? - Answer please? What is a SAC other than what another member answered = don't know because you did not even bother to look it up? So now you have conduit buried in dried cement more than likely not the correct size ID for the number of conductors you will need and maybe you will find a way to jam them in there - which more than likely may cause an overheating issue of the conductors causing a circuit to fail or even something more serious.

Again I had told you many posts previously that if you are going to be working with electric as much as you are (seem to be) in your work that you get paid to do then it would be to your best interests to learn the basics of the electrical trade.

Our electrical wholesalers also sell retail. Do a sketch of what you want to do and take your pictures there and just look stupid and have some one load you up with everything you are going to need.

Back