Kitchen faucet advice please!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy642

Reaction score
I am trying to find a faucet for our kitchen remodel. Our home is an old 1800's log home. The kitchen is fairly small(11x15).

The faucet will be in front of a window with window sill and the copper sink will be 30"x20"x7" deep(interior is 26"x16" and 8" deep when undermounted).

I would prefer something not real tall. About 13" tall overall(or shorter), with roughly 8" from spout(aerator) to deck. Just tall enough to fit tall pots under to fill and wash. It also has to have a longer reach. Over 9", closer to 10"(how far spout sticks out into sink).

I've been looking at pull-out faucets and ones with side sprays, since all pull-downs seem to be too tall and have short reach(spout not far enough forward in sink). I've heard pull-outs have better water flow/pressure and the spray is better than the ones with a side spray. I've always had a side spray with lots of pressure and never any problems with it.
I would like to stick with Delta or Moen, if possible, since they have good customer service, easy to get parts and lifetime warranty on parts and finish.
I like the look of the Moen Wetherly and Braemore and the Delta Cassidy(bad reviews) since they have the rustic, Victorian look, but they have the side spray and I've heard the water pressure isn't that good.

At this point, I'd rather get something that has all or most of what I'm looking for, rather than getting it for looks(just not real modern).

If I go with one that has an integrated spray, I want to make sure it has a metal or black(vinyl?) braided hose, as I was told at the plumbing supply showroom that those are the best hoses.

Also, most have a really low flow(1.5 gpm), which is a lot less flow/pressure than I'm used to(We've always had high flow/pressure in all of our faucets). I've used a low flow faucet and do not like them. I would prefer one with really good flow/pressure and really good spray, but at this point, I'll deal with whatever it is.

Yes, I've been to a showroom, but they didn't have a lot to look at and they couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I've researched a lot and looked at just about every faucet out there.

Also, I want it in a darker bronze color.

Everything I've looked at is either has too short of a reach, to short from spout to deck, not the right hose, or doesn't come in a darker bronze color.

I know everyone has their favorites, but I just want something not so tall, yet I can get pots under to wash without bumping the faucet, really good construction(very little or no plastic and good hose), dark bronze color and good warranty. My price range is around $400 or less.

Am I asking too much? I know it sounds like I'm being picky(which I may be), but I'm trying to make sure I get a durable faucet that I like.

I'm looking for suggestions of ones that people have actually had experience with and how you like/don't like it, since I already know what's out there and I need to pick one so we can move on and finish our remodel. Thanks!

Sorry such a long post! :)

Last edited:
I dont remember what brand ours is but it is the pull out type with a button for spray or straight flow. The hose is covered in braided SS. We love the pull out feature and wont go back to the side spray. Flow is great. Most have a little plastic part you can remove and get good flow. I often set the pot on the counter and bring the water to it. Bottom of the pot stays dry and if there is something in the sink it' easy.

:welcome: to the forum and great first post.

bud16415, thanks for welcoming me to the forum. How long have you had your faucet and would it be possible to post a photo of it? I could probably figure out what faucet it is from a photo. Thanks!

Anyone else have suggestions of a faucet?

Stick with any of the name brands that fit your needs. What works at my house may not work for you. I have a moen pull out and love it. It's brushed nickel and haven't had any problems in two years.

Oldognewtrick, I agree that what works for one person, may not work for someone else, but would you happen to know which faucet you have or could you post a photo of it? I'm curious as to what others have and like and at least it would help to know which faucets others think are good, so I can hopefully narrow it down. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi again, Kathy. :welcome:

I see you found your way over here.

Hopefully, the folks here can help you find something that works for you.

What, are you two following me????:confused:(talking about you Zannej & Frodo)...Creepy!!! lol ;) :banana:
So, back to my faucet dilemma....Anyone else have a faucet you like?????:help:

Last edited:
frodo, been there, done that. They didn't have many at the showroom and the guy there couldn't help me. I think I knew more about the different faucets than he did!

Just want to know if anyone has one like I'm looking for and can actually comment on the good/bad about it. The person at the showroom doesn't have experience with the faucets, like people here do. I'm just looking for a few that people like. As I said before, that would really help me to narrow it down or eliminate any. :)

LOL. This is a sister site of the plumbing forum. There is also the flooringforum and garageretreat forum. So there is some crossover of members.

I remember you established that you couldn't test out some faucets in the store since they weren't hooked up to water and you've gone to several showrooms and there wasn't much on youtube to demonstrate specific faucets. What you are looking for now is owner experiences with certain faucets.

I will say that generally if a faucet has a lot of reviews and at least a 4 star rating on amazon, it usually performs fairly well. The problem is finding ones that have a lot of reviews.

Have we developed a list of brands that are NOT reliable? Are Pfister and Kingston Brass, etc any good?

Kathy, have you decided whether you want side sprayer or pull-out? Or are you still open to both? I've seen that some of the pull-outs can have different types of sprays. It can be pretty daunting trying to find something.

The Pros of a sidesprayer:
1. If you have a particularly tall object in the sink-- bucket, large pot, refrigerator drawer/shelf, you can turn the regular faucet out of the way and use the side-sprayer to clean it.
2. You don't have to worry about it going back in to its port before using the default faucet.
3. Its designed to be held more easily and tends to fit in the hand better than some pull-outs
4. If you want to prank someone, you can put a rubberband around it to hold it on so the next person that turns on the faucet gets sprayed.
5. It allows you to order a sink that you like without a sprayer and get the sprayer separately
6. If anything ever happens to it, its not too difficult to replace.

Cons of the sidesprayer:
1. Sink must have a hole for it to come out of
2. I *think* it might require a separate hookup or extra connection-- I'll have to look at mine to see (or maybe someone here knows)
3. Sometimes if you have a lot of large pans and stuff from a big meal or are having to clean stuff other than dishes (like cleaning the shelves and drawers from a refrigerator) it can be harder to reach the sprayer.
4. Depending on the location of your lever, sometimes it can get in the way of the lever or pull against the lever (it does on mine because my lever is in the middle with faucet on left and sprayer on right.
-

Pros of Pull-out
1. It is easy to reach
2. If need be, you can still use it even if the faucet is turned to the side
3. It doesn't require a separate hole
4. It doesn't require a separate hookup or extra connection
5. I think you can just pull it out without having to use a button or diverter- just using default spray-- to move it around and clean from different angles

Cons of the Pull-out
1. If you have large stuff in the sink, it might be harder to maneuver if pulling on it makes the faucet move around
2. Sometimes the pull-outs might not come out easily (but I think that depends on the model)
3. You generally have to make it go back in to place in order to use the normal function part of the faucet.
4. If anything happens to the hose it may be harder to replace
5. You generally can't get it separately and a replacement would be more expensive (although, I know your goal is to get one that won't have to be replaced).
-----

Have you looked at any faucets you like that don't have a pull out or side sprayer but that could allow you to get a side sprayer separately?

As for your color range-- Venetian Bronze and oil-rubbed bronze?

If I'm not mistaken, this is the one you liked the look of?
51D4yWYsvJL._SL1000_.jpg

I've noticed that the Cassidy comes in pull-out, pull-down, and just without a sprayer so you could get one separately.

I hope I'm not adding to the confusion.

Last edited:
zannej, when looking at pull-downs and pull-outs, the Cassidy pull-down is the only one I've found so far that is shorter, but still has enough room from spout to deck for tall pots and also has the color I like.

Unfortunately, yes, it does have above 4 stars on Amazon, but all the good reviews are from those that just installed not long before they reviewed it. There are several bad reviews saying it doesn't pull out or go back in well, plus several saying it started to leak(water everywhere) after very short time. Also, I can't find a photo or video showing the hose. Some say it's braided steel, but in the Q & A on Delta, they say nylon. I've also heard it's plastic and kinks up a lot. So, I can't find out for sure what the hose is and it doesn't sound like the best faucet.

I've been told that some of the cheaper Delta and Moen faucets may not be that great. I've heard that some of their faucets are better than others(you get what you pay for). I do have a budget though.

I like the look and dimensions of the Moen Braemore and Wetherly, but have heard they are very low flow/pressure and not a very strong side spray. Plus, that means one more hole for the side spray. I wouldn't mind having the side spray and another hole, if I knew for certain the faucet and spray had really good pressure.

I really don't think I'm looking for too much with a faucet, I just wish more people would post that have a faucet closer to what I'm looking for, rather than most saying they have a taller pull-down, which does me no good.

I'll see if anyone else posts here. Thanks for all your help!!!:)

Again, if anyone has any other suggestions, keep them coming!

Ours is a Kohler and kind of looks like this. It’s about 4 years old as best I can tell. I bought our kitchen used off Craigslist and the people selling it had just done a major remod and then turned around and bought a whole new kitchen and sold theirs.

This one shows a black hose so maybe the guy upgraded to the braided hose.

One thing I know is term we use that’s called “paralyzes by analyzes” I know a faucet is something you live with a long time and they are not cheap but sometimes you need to take your best shot. For me things boil down to function and ascetics. Sure I want both if I can but I would rather have one that works the way I want if I can’t have both. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second buying another Kohler just like the one I have for 160 bucks. But that’s me and my tastes are specific to me.

http://www.faucet.com/kohler-k-1043...6008!&ef_id=VNZpzgAAAFolpD-W:20150816123739:s

zannej, when looking at pull-downs and pull-outs, the Cassidy pull-down is the only one I've found so far that is shorter, but still has enough room from spout to deck for tall pots and also has the color I like.

Unfortunately, yes, it does have above 4 stars on Amazon, but all the good reviews are from those that just installed not long before they reviewed it. There are several bad reviews saying it doesn't pull out or go back in well, plus several saying it started to leak(water everywhere) after very short time. Also, I can't find a photo or video showing the hose. Some say it's braided steel, but in the Q & A on Delta, they say nylon. I've also heard it's plastic and kinks up a lot. So, I can't find out for sure what the hose is and it doesn't sound like the best faucet.

I've been told that some of the cheaper Delta and Moen faucets may not be that great. I've heard that some of their faucets are better than others(you get what you pay for). I do have a budget though.

I like the look and dimensions of the Moen Braemore and Wetherly, but have heard they are very low flow/pressure and not a very strong side spray. Plus, that means one more hole for the side spray. I wouldn't mind having the side spray and another hole, if I knew for certain the faucet and spray had really good pressure.

I really don't think I'm looking for too much with a faucet, I just wish more people would post that have a faucet closer to what I'm looking for, rather than most saying they have a taller pull-down, which does me no good.

I'll see if anyone else posts here. Thanks for all your help!!!:)

Again, if anyone has any other suggestions, keep them coming!

Kathy, maybe, if you were to post a picture of a faucet that is CLOSE to what you are looking for.
to me, what you want is clouded by to much detail and verbiage,

:2cents:

frodo,

-13" high overall
-Around 8" from spout(aerator) to deck - just high enough to fit tall pots/cookie sheet under to wash w/o hitting faucet.
-Really good water flow/pressure if possible(and strong spray)-heard pullouts have stronger pressure than side spray
-Very durable(will be in stone counter, so want very durable/reliable faucet).
-Darker bronze color-
-Lifetime warranty on parts and finish with good customer service

-If a pull-out or pull-down, a good hose(braided steel or black-was told at showroom they're the best).

Budget-around $40

I know what's out there and have seen reviews and have been to a showroom. I need suggestions based on personal experience from anyone who has a faucet they've had long enough to know how it holds up(good reviews on faucets seem to be from those that just installed it).

Thanks for any help!!!

I will post photos of styles I like as soon as I figure out how to make the photos smaller(too big to post). :)

Last edited:
the last one is the style i have, it is a moen.

the only thing i do not like about it, is the 3/8 tubing water hook up.

i prefer a straight 1/2 male thread to attach to.

other than that, good faucet

in my opinion, that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee

copper sinks look best with a wall mount faucet,

in the hole in the sink, install a hot water dispencer and soap dispencer

http://screencast.com/t/ap6XH18S

http://screencast.com/t/Q40neiDd3

Last edited:
I couldn't figure out how to make the photos smaller, but these are the styles I like. I'm open to others. BTW, I can't do a wall mount. Not sure if I would like it either, although I do agree it is very much the old style. :)

th[2].jpg

th1ZUQ0BXC.jpg

4197-RB-DST-B1[1].jpg

4353T-RB-DST-B1[1].jpg

s711orb[1].jpg

s713orb[1].jpg

Last edited:
I don't care for wall mounts. oh, and btw, I,d like a longer reach; how far faucet reaches to front of sink)-at least 9" or longer.��

Latest posts

Back