Kitchen faucet advice please!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For quality...Kohler or Moen. Other than that, just pick one and do it! By the time you choose, there will be five new ones on the market that you will have to evaluate, and you will have to start all over again.
If you're not having luck in retail stores, take a trip to a kitchen designer, and see what he/she has to offer.

Anyone know about the different hoses? I was told if going with a pull-down or pull-out, the best hoses are braided stainless or black(vinyl?).

It seems like Moen has all plastic hoses and I don't know what Delta are, but they aren't black and don't look stainless. I was told to avoid plastic.

I can't seem to find anything that says specifically what the hose material for either is.

Anyone know how good Moen/Delta hoses actually are and if all Moen have the same hose and Delta all same?

Last edited:
The idea behind a braided hose is twofold the braid provides abrasion protection and allows a very soft and flexible inner hose. It’s all about feel. The color really means nothing as almost all the new space age plastics can have dye added to get whatever you want. Hardness equals strength in most cases and it’s another tradeoff between wear and function. Get one that feels nice and not like you are pulling a garden hose around. If it goes bad in a couple years just replace the hose.

As of right now I would say with the research you have done you are actually the expert in this area on this forum. If someone came here with the question of what kitchen sink faucet to buy and they had the same criteria as you and made it very clear they needed to get this faucet on order today. What would be your recommendation to them?

I wouldn't have an answer. I just wish someone could tell me about a faucet with a lower profile, or somewhat shorter, that they have or have had experience with that they really like that's at least close to what I'm looking for. Or any that I should avoid.
When I think I've found one, I check it out and it's either way to tall/short or doesn't come in the darker bronze color I want.

I've heard the cheaper Delta's and Moen's are usually not as good quality as the higher priced ones(yes, I know some cost more for finish or more features). I wish I knew if the lower priced ones were good or not(under $300).

Last edited:
Take a look at what replacement cartridge selector valve is inside. If you go to the apron and vest stores they have the replacement cartridges right there also. That’s the only thing that wears out for the most part and you will see if they use the same one or if it looks significantly cheaper built. The rest of the cost is purely cosmetic. The less expensive ones are built in the millions and appeal to the masses. If what you want is a look that not many people want and the materials are not the norm expect to pay more. That in no way means the product isn’t as good.

If my sink is 7" deep(8" when undermounted), what should the minimum spout height(from spout/aerator to deck) be? I want it high enough to wash big things without hitting the spout, but not too high, so it doesn't splash.

If my sink is 7" deep(8" when undermounted), what should the minimum spout height(from spout/aerator to deck) be? I want it high enough to wash big things without hitting the spout, but not too high, so it doesn't splash.

There are a lot of factors that will go into that calculation. We need to know your water pressure and flow rate max. If you take out the water saver to maximize flow rate you will increase the chances of splash. What is the height of the largest item you will rinse off and what angle is on the highest surface of that item relative to the deck angle being zero. We will also have to know the dispersion angle of the aerator and if its variable like mine it might be more complex. There is also the size of the sink opening and where the object will be placed under the spray and will the reach of the sprayer be located 45 degrees to the back splash if a double sink and 90 degrees if a single sink.
I’m sure there are a lot of secondary influences that would have some effect on splash rates things like water softness and the texture and surface finish of the item being rinsed. I think those can be neglected for starting calculations though.
The best method would be actual testing though. If we could build a variable height test device we could then experiment and record data on actual spray patterns and splash rates and compile that and have a gold standard that would cover all situations.

Or I could guess and say a faucet with a height of 6 to 8 inches would be my choice.

Kathy, from what I've read, pretty much all of the faucets now are throttled at 1.5gpm. As for side-sprayers, even my el-cheapo Delta one has pretty good pressure even when the diverter isn't fully working.

People have mentioned that the hose can be replaced. I know you don't want to have to replace one, but if you have a warranty and a part goes bad, you can contact the company for a replacement. If you check amazon, sometimes you can find the right sized braided hose.

I know you saw some bad reviews on products that had 4 star reviews, but some people just get unlucky or sometimes write in about the wrong product. If you can find the Cassidy thing in a showroom, see how easily it pulls out. That seems to be the one you liked the most. A plastic sprayer does not mean it is poor quality or that it will have lower pressure. In fact, plastic can prevent the sprayer from getting too hot to the touch. I have a plastic sprayer and I don't have problems with it-- and I've had it since 2002.

As for the wall-mount, I understand that its an exterior wall and there is a window above-- so you wouldn't want to be putting pipes in the exterior wall.

Personally, if I were you, I would try to get one that is at least 13" tall and make sure it swivels.

Because so many faucets are made and people seem to keep them for a long time, I think you may not be able to find the answers you seek. There probably just aren't enough people in a concentrated place that will have experience with the types of faucet in within your parameters.

My advice is to narrow it down to a few options that have at least 4 star ratings, lifetime warranty, and a look that you like and then ask yourself which one you have the best feeling about. You may want to sleep on it and then try to make a decision in the morning.

It's not a life or death thing. If you buy it from a local store and are not satisfied, you have the option of returning it. If there are any defects or problems with the hose, you can contact the manufacturer-- sometimes they will replace parts for free.

I know you want to get the right faucet and not spend hundreds of dollars on a lemon, but sometimes you just have to take the plunge and pick something. (and I can sympathize bc I will research the hell out of things a lot of the time).

Maybe if you can narrow it down you can post your options and we can go over the pros and cons and help you decide.

With a pullout sprayer, the height becomes less important because you can bring the faucet to the pot instead of the pot to the faucet.
The taller the faucet is, the more likely it is to splash - that's simply a physics thing. But it has more to do with what's under the faucet at the time. When the falling water hits a full cup or bowl for instance, there is a good chance that it will create a big plop. this can be minimized by opening the faucet slowly.

I've been to a showroom...didn't help.

I'm open to suggestions if someone has experience with one they really like, but as of now I like the look of the Moen Wetherly and Moen Braemore(both with 1.5 gpm and side spray).

I've heard people complain about the really low pressure/flow with them, plus majority of people say a side faucet compared to a pull-down or pull-out is like comparing a chevy to a Ferrari. Also, people say the pull-out has much better pressure than the side spray.

Since it seems like the ones I like with side spray have very low flow/pressure(also another hole in counter), I've been looking at pull-outs, since they are shorter than the pull-downs and have a much longer reach forward in the sink. The problem is, most are way too short (about 5"-6" from spout to deck). The ones that are just tall enough to get a pot under don't come in the darker bronze finish I want.

I had a faucet that was 10" overall height, which was perfect in front of window, but the spout to deck was only 6-6 1/2. Very hard to get tall pots under to fill, but mainly to wash. I would hit the faucet. My sink was a 7" deep drop-in and my new copper sink will also be 7" deep(actually, 8" when undermounted). Any deeper and I have to bend over to wash something that's sitting on bottom of sink.

I don't want to hit the faucet, especially if it's a darker bronze color, for fear of scratching or chipping it.

I don't mind the look of a pull-out like the Delta Linden or those like it, but way too short. The ones like it that are just tall enough for pots, do not come in the darker bronze color I really want.

I'd consider a pull-down, but the shortest one I've found that actually has a somewhat longer reach is the Delta Leland, but it's still a bit tall overall(I think??). Not loving or hating the look, just not my favorite look. It also has a plastic hose.

If I were to go with one with a plastic hose, I'm really worried about it leaking and wrecking the cabinets. I've heard of it happening a lot with plastic hoses. Everything I hear is...find one with a braided stainless hose.
Plus, some have metal washers and some have nylon/plastic which is not as good.
Looks like Kohler, Delta and Moen do not have the stainless hose. I think they may all be plastic(not sure).

The Delta Cassidy pull-out that I was looking at, has a plastic hose and lots of people complain it leaks after time, plus everyone says it's hard to pull out and get back in. Although it has the dimensions I like, if so many people have bad things to say about it, I've pretty much crossed that one off unfortunately.
Yes, it's got over a 4 star rating on Amazon. None of the people that wrote good reviews have had it very long. They all say just installed it and looks good.

I guess I just was hoping there would be people that would be able to tell me they have a faucet like I'm looking for (in front of a window, if possible), and have had it a long time with no problems. Or tell me to stay away from a certain one.

Moen Wetherly and Braemore(both with side spray)
-love the look
-side spray may be a negative(for above reasons)
-only 1.5 gpm(low flow/pressure-people have complained)

Delta Cassidy pull-out(not pull-down)
-like the look and dimensions
-lots of bad reviews(leaking, hard to pull out and put back in)-don't want to wreck brand new custom cabinets.
-buttons(spray/stream) rubber cover that people say gets "yucky" over time

Delta Linden pull-out(or ones like it)
-way too short
-ones that are just tall enough(spout to deck) don't come in darker bronze

Delta Leland
-shortest pull-down I've found(still too tall???)
-pretty good spout reach (about 9")
-too tall???
-not loving the look

I can't find anything on any of them that says anything about the specific parts(lists them or photo/video-parts list diagrams don't say which parts are metal or which are plastic/rubber). Even some from a plumbing supply showroom have plastic/rubber parts.

I may be missing others that I should consider. I'm pretty much stuck on Kohler, Delta or Moen since easy to get parts and lifetime warranty.

I know any could have a problem, but if you don't have specific experience with one you really like and can recommend, and you were looking for one like I want, which one would you go with???? One of the above? A different one?

Latest posts

Back