Missed a golden opportunity

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granite-Girl:
In Australia, the native people are called "aboriginies" or "Abos". In North America, they're called "natives", "indians", "first nations", or "aboriginal people".

In Canada, there's also a separate class of people who were the offspring of aboriginal women and the french speaking fir traders who were the first white contact with many native groups. Those people are called the "metis". (pronounced may-ti)
The original metis were "half blood indians" or half indian, half white. However, since then, those metis have had children with both white and indian and now the metis have anything from very little native blood to almost all native blood; it all depends on the individual person.

Vancouver got chosen for the winter Olympics 8 years ago, and at the time no one knew what the weather was going to be like in Vancouver in 2010. However, if they keep having trouble with the snow melting, I'll tell them about your offer, and maybe they can hook up a truck and tow rope and pull the skiers down one of your snow covered highways instead this year. :grin:

Generally, the natives in Canada are not well liked because of the propensity for unemployment, petty crime, alcoholism, family violence and drug abuse amongst "urban indians" that migrate into the cities and those that still live on native reserves. However, the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver are not being held on a native reserve. The ski resorts and facilities at Whistler and other venues are world class. And, the Vancouver Olympic Organizing committee undoubtedly made peace with the Indians by promising them they'd play a big role in the Olympics so they wouldn't start protesting the games right while the city had the world's attention.

Natives can be a real pain in the butt when they start bellyaching about the causes of social problems amongst their people. As best as I can understand it, it all boils down to the filthy stinking white man stealing their land from them 200 years ago, and they've been so psychologically scarred since, that the only reasonable option open to them was to drown their sorrows in alcohol and get buzzed out of their minds sniffing solvents, even when pregnant so their children would be born with fetal alcohol syndrome and also be born impaired. If it wasn't for the white man stealing their land 200 years ago, then natives would all be fine upstanding pillars of the community today.

Last edited:
Granite Girl, Indiaina doesn't have aboriginies or mtns do they? Luging down the side of an interstae overpass just won't win the gold...

.......you obviously have never been to Gary.:)

Vancouver got chosen for the winter Olympics 8 years ago, and at the time no one knew what the weather was going to be like in Vancouver in 2010. However, if they keep having trouble with the snow melting, I'll tell them about your offer, and maybe they can hook up a truck and tow rope and pull the skiers down one of your snow covered highways instead this year. :grin:
We'd love to have them
Natives can be a real pain in the butt when they start bellyaching about the causes of social problems amongst their people. As best as I can understand it, it all boils down to the filthy stinking white man stealing their land from them 200 years ago, and they've been so psychologically scarred since, that the only reasonable option open to them was to drown their sorrows in alcohol and get buzzed out of their minds sniffing solvents, even when pregnant so their children would be born with fetal alcohol syndrome and also be born impaired. If it wasn't for the white man stealing their land 200 years ago, then natives would all be fine upstanding pillars of the community today.
Talk about holding a grudge. But really from what we did to our native americans- they do deserve a little land,respect,... but come on it's been 200 years, pull up your boot strings & do something for yourself !

But really from what we did to our native americans- they do deserve a little land,respect,... but come on it's been 200years, pull up your boot strings & do something for yourself !

What we did to Native Americans is no more than what the Turks did to the Armenians in WWI, what Stalin did Ukrainians during the great famine of 1932 and 1933, what Stalin did to his own people in sending so many hundreds of thousands of them to freeze and work themselves to death in Siberia. It's no more than what the Japanese did to the Chinese in WWII, and what the Germans did to the Jews, Jehovoh's witnesses, homosexuals and the mentally ill during the 3rd Reich. And, it's peanuts compared to what the Khumer Rouge did in Cambodia or what the Hutus did to the Tutsi's in Rwanda.

There has always been cruelty between peoples of different nationalities. But, people get back on their feet and carry on. Stalin starved millions of people in Ukraine because they didn't want to collectivize their farms into co-ops. (They didn't want to lose their land to communism.) Few of the people sent to Siberia had any idea what they did wrong, if anything, and hundreds of thousands died without ever knowing justice in the frozen Russian bush. The Japanese enslaved the Chinese in the territory they captured, and Chinese and Korean women were used as whores for the Japanese army. The Germans both enslaved and gassed the Jews, and had guilotines they used on Jehovoh's Witnesses and people of other religious persuations. And, right now in North Korea, people scour the railway tracks to collect the kernels of wheat, barley and rice that fall off the trains carrying it to the ports for export to other countries. North Korea is exporting food to support it's own economy while it's own people slowly starve to death.

Native Americans were no more persecuted as a people than any of the others mentioned above. They're in very good company.

However, as you pointed out, all of those other nationalities have since pulled themselves back up by their boot straps and have carried on. There are many happy, healthy and wealthy Russians, Jews, Cambodians, Ukrainians and Koreans on this Earth. Native people, however, continue to wallow in self pity and blame everyone else except themselves for their own miserable situation. And I, for one, am tired of hearing about it from them.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ Kelebay......
Is there any subject you aren't an expert on?:) Why don't you chill once in a while?:)

Apparently everyone has forgotten that when it comes to snowfall and temperature, elevation is a crucial element. We have MOUNTAINS here on the coast. And once you are a few kilometers (miles) inland from the ocean, there is a significant difference in both temp and precipitation. It can be pouring rain on my house while 500 meters up the snow is falling.

Besides, we're Canadian! We specialize in making snow. We get that conversion from water to ice crystal. It's not exactly rocket science. Nestor needs to put aside the naked prancing around in front of the mirror and work on his weather expertise, in my humble opinion. There is no fault in the logic that it would be cold, snowy and otherwise amenable to outdoor winter sports this year, as it has been for most of recorded weather history.

I may be wrong about the above assertion, being so much younger than Nestor, but I remember snow on the mountains every winter since I was old enough to be dazzled by such pretty sights.

See, I've had my measure of wine, and now I'm mouthing off. Typical Canadian. Spouting off from behind the bottle. But come on, isn't Vancouver spectacular when the skies are clear and blue with the mountains on parade along the north shore? We aren't givien to showing off, but then again, surrounded by this stuff we're used to it and it's very cool to see us on TV.

My one beef about the whole Olympic song and dance is the last line in the "I Believe" song which is grammatically annoying. You can't say "I believe in you and I" just so it rhymes. I may have to write a letter to the editor. Or get the Queen on board to correct this outrage.

I feel much better now. Thank you.

cheers,
Holly

Vancouver does look like a very interesting & beautiful city. They are doing a great job with everything. Watching the skiing & snowboarding last night proved how beautiful your area is. And I'm sure this is a record winter for you, as it has been a record winter for lots of parts of our country. Just goes to show you never know what's coming.
You Canadiens should be proud of pulling off a spectacular show- which I'm sure has taken a lot of hard work & $$$. Good job!

Vancouver does look like a very interesting & beautiful city.

The Rockies have the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. Whenever I've been in the mountains the one thing I always remember was the beauty of nature and the clear cold streams running off the mountains.

Back