Outdoor receptacles not working I'm stumped!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv713

Reaction score
I have 2 in the backyard and one by the front door. All 3 have the GFCI label but with no reset/test button in the middle. I have reset all the ones I found inside the house but nothing work . Also tried resetting the panel in the garage with same result. Please help. TIA.

There is one you haven't found yet inside or in garage that controls them. Is what I think. Sometimes there is one close to the main panel even. Is the wiring such that you can follow it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

The label means the circuit is protected by a GFCI elsewhere. You have to locate the tripped GFCI and reset it. My guess is you are missing it. Did you check the garage?

Not able to trace the wiring at all. Checked the garage and reset all the buttons still nothing. However there's one receptacle there that isn't working. Not sure if it a GFCI protected outlet or not. Maybe this the one connected to all the ones outdoor?

None of my breakers tripped though I switched them off and on to make sure. Still nothing.

yes that helps tremendously. Will try to replace it tomorrow. Hope I don't get cooked :)
Thanks everyone!

Shouldn't have to replace it, besides the breaker switch it would have the samne test and reset button that you would find on an outlet. If those buttons arn't there you're back to looking for and outlet. Sometimes it just stupid stuff like kitchen, bathroom or even an outlet in the soffet for xmas lights

nothing on my panel in the garage is trip. I Turned my house up side down looking for that one elusive GFCI outlet with no luck. Found one in upstairs bathroom, kitchen, and garage and that's all there is.

I just had 4 outside outlets I was working on and I knew where the GFI outlet was located and it was working. The last two outlets had no power to them so I knew the problem was between 2 and 3. I pulled 3 and checked the wire coming in with a voltage tester and nothing so I went and pulled 2 and had voltage in but not out. They were wired in a method where they used the other set of screws to feed out and something in the outlet had failed so I just replaced the outlet.

Sometimes when you pull them out you get a clue as to where the feed is coming from and the order they are wired in that could help. Get a meter or tester and see what you can find by pulling them seeing as you are pretty sure you found all the GFI outlets and reset them.

That was very informative. Gonna get a tester as soon as I get out of the office later today. Will post pics of the newly built patio in my other thread if anyone interested. Thanks!

That was very informative. Gonna get a tester as soon as I get out of the office later today. Will post pics of the newly built patio in my other thread if anyone interested. Thanks!

Would love to see it finished. With selfies of course. :D

Here's the pics..try not to laugh but it came out alright.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back