Re-route downspouts from upper to lower gutter

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had another contractor out to give his thoughts, and he thought that having 4 elbows in the downspouting would increase the chances of it freezing in the winter. His suggestion was to replace that small straight piece of 2x3 coming off the drop outlet and dumping on the roof with just an elbow that would empty on the roof but at a slower velocity than the piece I have attached now. Any thoughts on the likelihood of freezing, and whether it's possible to eliminate of the elbows in my proposed layout to reduce the chances of freezing occuring?

I had another contractor out to give his thoughts, and he thought that having 4 elbows in the downspouting would increase the chances of it freezing in the winter. His suggestion was to replace that small straight piece of 2x3 coming off the drop outlet and dumping on the roof with just an elbow that would empty on the roof but at a slower velocity than the piece I have attached now. Any thoughts on the likelihood of freezing, and whether it's possible to eliminate of the elbows in my proposed layout to reduce the chances of freezing occuring?
At our house, whether there is one elbow or several, they all eventually freeze with hoarfrost. Even the verticals freeze. Our climate (Detroit, MI) is perhaps different than yours, so maybe it won't be a problem to have a several elbows where you live. The PVC sections we have are just as bad, only they freeze a little later.

If you're going to dump water on the roof shingles, perhaps you can come up with a creative way to make sure the water does not erode the protective granules on the shingles. It will quickly, as evidenced on my roof before I re-routed.

A few quick thoughts came to mind:
Maybe have a sheet metal shop brake-up a trough that can lay on the shingles under the spout's exit and direct the water to the lower gutter? Perhaps you can hold it in place with a couple of those shingle clips people use for holiday lights. (Sample photo is attached)

Another plan would be to find or make something that would break the water stream up into droplets that get spread out when they exit the downspout. Maybe some simple "fingers" made of aluminum strips across the final opening would work. I didn't find any examples, so Kdrymer Engineering may have to design one.

And, going out of the standard, would a Kusari-doi (sometimes called "Rain Chain") instead of downspout solve the problem?
They don't freeze, they don't clog. I guess you'd have to find one that breaks the water flow up instead of having it all land in one spot.

A Complete Change of Paths-
There are also things to use instead of gutters that break the roof water up into a lot of droplets and spread it around. This way, the roof below won't get worn away from a concentrated stream of water.
Rain Dispersal Systems is one brand name. A picture is attached.

I've seen the one in action and it breaks up the water into rain drop sized drops and spreads it out quite far. When the wind blows, the water turns in to a fine mist.
(A picture of the Rain Handler brand one is attached. The one I saw has a wall at each end so no water streamed out of the ends.)

The owner said it doesn't freeze. When the maple tree helicopters fill it, she sprays from underneath with a garden hose. She said the leaves slide off by themselves.

Paul

Attachments

• Shingle Clip.png
    Shingle Clip.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Rain Dispersal Gizmo.png
    Rain Dispersal Gizmo.png
    170.1 KB · Views: 0
At our house, whether there is one elbow or several, they all eventually freeze with hoarfrost. Even the verticals freeze. Our climate (Detroit, MI) is perhaps different than yours, so maybe it won't be a problem to have a several elbows where you live. The PVC sections we have are just as bad, only they freeze a little later.

If you're going to dump water on the roof shingles, perhaps you can come up with a creative way to make sure the water does not erode the protective granules on the shingles. It will quickly, as evidenced on my roof before I re-routed.

A few quick thoughts came to mind:
Maybe have a sheet metal shop brake-up a trough that can lay on the shingles under the spout's exit and direct the water to the lower gutter? Perhaps you can hold it in place with a couple of those shingle clips people use for holiday lights. (Sample photo is attached)

Another plan would be to find or make something that would break the water stream up into droplets that get spread out when they exit the downspout. Maybe some simple "fingers" made of aluminum strips across the final opening would work. I didn't find any examples, so Kdrymer Engineering may have to design one.

And, going out of the standard, would a Kusari-doi (sometimes called "Rain Chain") instead of downspout solve the problem?
They don't freeze, they don't clog. I guess you'd have to find one that breaks the water flow up instead of having it all land in one spot.

A Complete Change of Paths-
There are also things to use instead of gutters that break the roof water up into a lot of droplets and spread it around. This way, the roof below won't get worn away from a concentrated stream of water.
Rain Dispersal Systems is one brand name. A picture is attached.

I've seen the one in action and it breaks up the water into rain drop sized drops and spreads it out quite far. When the wind blows, the water turns in to a fine mist.
(A picture of the Rain Handler brand one is attached. The one I saw has a wall at each end so no water streamed out of the ends.)

The owner said it doesn't freeze. When the maple tree helicopters fill it, she sprays from underneath with a garden hose. She said the leaves slide off by themselves.

Paul
@PJB12 Thanks Paul for all that feedback! I'm on the fence about changing course a little and installing a new upper gutter that will have the drop outlet on the other end (front corner) and then use two elbows and gutter along the stone wall and into the lower gutter. I did a crude drawing of it below highlighted in blue. This would be a little more visible, but I think it would be a simpler run without very sharp turns that could slow down water draining.

Thoughts on this?

1698412488166.png

I like your idea! A nice, white downspout would look sharp there, especially if elbowed to match the one on the left side of the stone section's window.

In conjunction with the downspout on the left side of the building, your new location's downspout, plus the existing one below, will complete the framing of beautiful window and stonework.

Picturing it (with the left side downspout in view), all of a sudden, the stone section is now in balance.

I'm certainly no artist, but to my eyes, your plan is brilliant.

Paul

I like your idea! A nice, white downspout would look sharp there, especially if elbowed to match the one on the left side of the stone section's window.

In conjunction with the downspout on the left side of the building, your new location's downspout, plus the existing one below, will complete the framing of beautiful window and stonework.

Picturing it (with the left side downspout in view), all of a sudden, the stone section is now in balance.

I'm certainly no artist, but to my eyes, your plan is brilliant.

Paul
@PJB12 This is how we ended up running it. I think it turned out good. Re-ran new upper gutter and put drop outlet on the front corner, ran downspouting off this along stone wall into new 6" gutter, and upsized to 3x4 downspouting below that into the underground drain.

Attachments

• 20231031_122251.jpg
    20231031_122251.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
That looks Sharp! Really Sharp! The spouts and soffits seem to work together to frame and "present" your stone wall. You're quite creative.

I'll bet it works great, summer and winter.

Paul

Latest posts

Back