Removing walls to open my living room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh , I’ve never tore into a wall and found new construction inside.;)

Looks like it’s coming down pretty fast. I’m with you I like an open plan and your room will look huge with that down. Hard to say about resale value some people are into the arches, angles and fireplaces. Make your house fit you is what I think and not worry about the next guy’s needs.

Can’t wait for the after photos.

How about adding a tube style sky light to replace the fireplace flu? They are sold inside most Costco's right now.

Wow, what a difference. Chris, you got gonads to do that. My luck, I'd tear down a load bearing wall and my roof would be on my head!

It's all in planning and prep with a little research. Got her all out now. ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401400602.930894.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Gotta like it when a plan comes together.Let your insurance co know you pulled the fireplace, should save a few bucks.

Will do.

I should have enough extra floor tiles in my shed from when I originally put in the floor.

Oh I am but I still need to get some electrical sorted out so I can turn my fridge back on.

Had another beer and got 90% of the electrical done. I have to pull a new wire for my dining room fan to be able to move it to the wall and avoid a junction box. Here is where I am at for day one.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401415321.944115.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401415375.828881.jpg

Wow, what a difference. Chris, you got gonads to do that. My luck, I'd tear down a load bearing wall and my roof would be on my head!

You call it gonads I call it lack of dumb luck.:hide:

I couldn't believe how crappy these walls were built. Nothing was really attached to the ceiling. The flue pipe had a gap in one side because they didn't get the angles right. Just plain bad work. Glad its gone now.

After looking at the chimney in the first pic in the "what to do" thread, I think if it were my house I'd make the chimney go away. You will need access to about 35-40 roof tiles and the chimney could be history. If it was near a wall or valley I'd feel different. If you can find roof tiles to match.

Back