Removing walls to open my living room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be the process on that. I would rather that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Have you posted pics of how the chimney exits through the roof yet?

There is no more chimney except the stucco box which was built on top of the osb roof sheeting.

I finally found the pic I was looking for. Yep, that's an easy fix. However, that might be a great location for a gun turret, which will really be needed when your beautiful baby girl gets old enough to start dating!

Hopefully I won't be living here tgen but I'm sure it could be a great selling point

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM-tmUb8An0[/ame]
See what Oldog thinks of this video.
The special paper under the tile is likely more important than anything else.

I just found out one of my employees brothers is a roofer and can get the tiles. Score for me.

Here we are at day two. All electrical is in except hanging a ceiling fan. Now for tape mud and texture then patch the floor.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401492928.420171.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM-tmUb8An0
See what Oldog thinks of this video.
The special paper under the tile is likely more important than anything else.

I don't see anything wrong for replacing a broken tile, Chris' job will be a little different. He will have to patch the decking where the flue came through. Remove enough tile to be able to apply new underlayment, making sure to get under the head lap and be able to seal the side laps. There are 2 different types of tile. Direct to deck and ones with lugs that hang on battens. Make sure what type system you have before you start the demo of the chase. Then its just applying the tile, filling in the hole. Be sure to leave about 1/8" of the nail head above the tile to allow for thermal expansion of the house envelope.

If that slope has a lot of visibility, you might consider pulling tile from a lesser seen area and using those to patch and putting the new tile where the color contrast might not be as visible. Just a thought.

Feels like a different house for sure. Now I just want it done to enjoy it. That and I am neglecting my company by being home. I may try and toss some tiles down this evening but here it is for the most part. Got it all taped now just need to sand, coat, sand, coat.ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401499256.824293.jpg

Got all the travertine down. Finished up after 9pm made for a long day but I am done with that part so it was worth it.

Nicely done. Hope you back buttered the travertine because it is full of voids and prone to breakage. When you are done, post before and after shots from the same angles. Would make a nice wrap-up :D

Yes back buttered them all. Moved some furniture around and did some cleaning this morning. Was hoping to get the drywall done before I did that but we had out of town family show up this morning. Still gonna try and get the next coat of mud up today without making too much mess.

I do love the new size of the living room now. No wasted space at all.

Here is a pic from the kitchen. Nice and open now.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401586149.293029.jpg

Got the drywall done today, just sprayed texture and giving up for the day. I did a pretty good job at mudding I think for a guy who hates drywall. Now all I need is paint.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401678687.620346.jpg

No more chimney.

Just my luck they stopped making this roof tile ten years ago and the company has been out of business just about as long. One of my workers found some used but the color is off so I guess we are going to paint to match or acid stain if it will take. still better than having a box on the roof for no good reason.

Hole in roof.jpg

Back