Side porch repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did we loose a photo, I thought I saw one that showed the floor and bottom of short wall?

The one inch board above the windows, if you drill a few 1/4" holes, you can determine if there is solid wood there, do not make swiss cheese out of it

Did we loose a photo, I thought I saw one that showed the floor and bottom of short wall?

The one inch board above the windows, if you drill a few 1/4" holes, you can determine if there is solid wood there, do not make swiss cheese out of it
Will make some 1/4 " holes, not more than two.
I will send the pic again.
In the prior post, I assume i were referring to the windows being moved by the wind?
I will also take a pic of the other window with a small amount of rot in the 2 by 4's that are inbetween the windows.
Is that called a mullion?
Thanks
ome

Will make some 1/4 " holes, not more than two.
I will send the pic again.
In the prior post, I assume i were referring to the windows being moved by the wind?
I will also take a pic of the other window with a small amount of rot in the 2 by 4's that are inbetween the windows.
Is that called a mullion?
Thanks
ome

Mullion is in a window between to panes of glass.

Your 2x4s the middle one is likely a king stud going to the top plate and the other two are Jack studs holding up the header for each window.

Mullion is in a window between to panes of glass.

Your 2x4s the middle one is likely a king stud going to the top plate and the other two are Jack studs holding up the header for each window.

That makes sense, thanks.
will have pics by sat, if does not rain much.

That makes sense, thanks.
will have pics by sat, if does not rain much.

That is just guess work, these things often stared out as just a deck then a roof was added with a beam holding up the roof with three or four posts, then windows get added and post are removed and it is anybodies guess what is supporting what. With those studs stopping at the short wall never mind the rot, would make it subject to flexing with any big wind.

That is just guess work, these things often stared out as just a deck then a roof was added with a beam holding up the roof with three or four posts, then windows get added and post are removed and it is anybodies guess what is supporting what. With those studs stopping at the short wall never mind the rot, would make it subject to flexing with any big wind.

Yes, I see what u mean regarding the wind.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ok,
Here are some photos
But, I noticed the wood above all the windows is a 1" by 8".
Here is another pic

image.jpg

Some photos were retaken with better lighting, sorry for the repetition.

image.jpg

These are all the pics. Took off the next 6' of interior knee wall. Mall beams are ok, the vertical 2 by 4's from underbthe 2 by 12 knee wall cap, to the top of subfloor in wall.
Also, I noticed that the 2 by 4's in between each window, are really 2 by 6's.
Thanks,
ome

Here is the drawing:
Pics with legend to follow.

image.jpg

And we tested all the beams under the floor with a system of 1 to 5 and all wood beams were between one and two or rather one or two nothing worse than two.

We use the awl as you requested and it worked very well.

Here is a view from just beyond the hatch.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back