What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I was cross country skiing about an hour from here in western NY state at a place called Red House. We were really back in the woods on a trail maybe 3 to 5 miles. The weather was bitter cold and we hear all this noise ahead and to our amazement there were about 30 American Indians dressed in street clothes having some kind of a party that involved gambling and I believe drinking but I can be sure of that. All I really knew was they were all really underdressed for the condition. They had built this long shoot out of snow and ice and were playing some kind of a game whipping these poles and sticks down this ice lined gutter. We approached them and asked what it was they were doing and they explained it was called the snow snake. And they were betting and throwing and the longest throw would win I guess. I couldn’t first believe someone built this thing as it had to be the length of two football fields and raised up in the air to about 3 feet. The second thing I couldn’t believe was how far these poles would go. We stayed and watched them for at least a half hour and they acted like we were for the most part not there. We were dressed for skiing and we got too cold standing and how they didn’t freeze to death being in jeans and sneakers and just a shirt I will never know. This all happened long before the internet had much on it and all this talk of curling and such got me to thinking about it today. I was really surprised to find a video of almost the same thing I saw that day.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfn5LE88JPc[/ame]

Negative 14 F this am. Wind chill they said was -30 F.

The new car spun right over and only took 25 miles to warm up. I think that was due to the city being 24 degrees warmer though.

At 7:21 on 1/14/2015, it is 17.6F outside and 70.3F inside.

Don't buy a thermometer that measures to the tenth of a degree because you can get "lost in the woods" of accuracy. Much worse when it is an indoor/outdoor type that has highs and lows for different time periods. - You get too far into the details, but it is is interesting.

Having a dead accurate clock that is always correct and resets itself from a satellite frequently is very handy

Dick

Thank you Dick....when I look at my gage. if its inbetween 10 and 20

i call the temp In the teens

if it points to 20--30 I call the temp in the 20's

and so on

18 degrees warmer this morning at a balmy 4F.

The last few mornings with this cold weather there have been deer tracks all over the side yard right up close to the house, within a couple foot of the house. I wonder if they are coming up for some heat or what? Never saw them do that before. Or if I have seen them come up close like that they were eating the shrubs or something. Nothing really to eat but I will have to take a look and see what I can figure out. The snow is getting to that depth where they can’t find food on the ground.

18 degrees warmer this morning at a balmy 4F.

The last few mornings with this cold weather there have been deer tracks all over the side yard right up close to the house, within a couple foot of the house. I wonder if they are coming up for some heat or what? Never saw them do that before. Or if I have seen them come up close like that they were eating the shrubs or something. Nothing really to eat but I will have to take a look and see what I can figure out. The snow is getting to that depth where they can’t find food on the ground.

I would guess they're foraging. Even if there's nothing there, they don't know that till they check it out. If it's the lee side of your house, they might also be sheltering against the wind.

One area where we have built houses, when the work crews go home at night the deer all come out to inspect the work. But they don't understand wet concrete.

throw them a bag of whole corn out.. i buy 50 lb sacks. and give them around 12 pounds every other day or so in the winter
keep the pressure off of them , keeps them healthy. i also put a salt block out. when it gets small a racoon steal it

he tries when its big, only manages to move it around, i put it back, he tries to steal it.i put it back. till he finally gets it
little basterd

Mid 20’s today one of those days you dread starting out with freezing rain and changing to snow. The auto body shops love these days.

I think I figured out the deer last night after looking at the tracks more and my shrubs. They are helping me out with the spring trimming. Also a big point of interest was the bird feeder. They can’t get high enough to get at it but did a job on the seed that hit the ground.

43 this morning, supposed to hit 73. My dogs are the only thing foraging on my side yard.

Back