When to replace a fridge?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
We have a 2005 Kenmore fridge. We are noticing some noise from when the compressor shuts down. It still keeps things cool/cold.

Our plan would be to sell it to a family member that wants one like it and get a new one.
So, how long do these fridges tend to last.

The one we have is the one with French doors, and the freezer in the bottom. It does not have an ice maker or a water dispenser.

I have a 1999 Whirlpool Gold SxS. It is still going strong but little problems are creeping up. The water through the door switch is flakey and I've given up on getting water from the fridge. The ice maker was replaced several years ago with one I took out of our laundry room fridge that was never hooked up. The water filter holder leaks, I decided to by-pass it with a connector for $5 rather than replace it for $80. I'm probably going to replace it next year.

I've heard people have issues after 5 years, and others that keep on chugging for 30. What a 1990 built fridge is like compared to a 2005 one is an unknown.

Our Kenmore is 30 years old and still works fine. Only issue was a clog in the drain line for the defrost and that blew out easily with compressed air. You may want to check the mounts for the compressor for any looseness. That could account for the noise you hear.

Last edited:
Where I worked they built refrigerators millions of them and in 1958 the company decided to move the whole operation to Louisville. When they pulled out they left behind 100s of refrigerators that were used around the plant by the guys to keep lunches cold and such so they were built sometime in the 50s. Those units were still chugging along when I retired a few years ago like the day they were built. The companies figured out there is no money to be made making a product that lasts forever and planed obsolescence was invented.

IMO it is really hard to figure the life of a fridge these days or most large appliances for that matter. It seems to me the little things start breaking after about 10 years and that’s about when people get tired of looking at them and the design trend changes and they want a new look anyway. Most of the time they get passed down or sent to the garage or basement for up to another 10 years.

For us it is the stuff mentioned water and ice start leaking the plastic trays crack the door seal fails. Being cheap I keep fixing stuff.

We've been converting from white to stainless steel. The SxS refrigerator is the last appliance to be replaced. It is 23 years old now. We're on our forth microwave 3rd dishwasher and second range in those years. The washer and dryer are white as well, but they're in a separate room. The fridge is definitely showing it's age with drawer guides cracking, the water filter assembly leaking, the paint chipping on the cabinet in places. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth out of the initial purchase. When my second microwave was still "under warranty" for the magnetron it stopped heating food. I assumed it was the magnetron but in order to confirm I needed a authorized servicer diagnose the problem for a $75 fee, then he'd order the part, and come out and install it for another fee. Labor for the 10 year magnetron warranty was not included. I might have been able to order a new one via Amazon or Repair Clinic but it wasn't really worth it. I'd be $200 into a 7 year old microwave.

I just replaced our HVAC earlier this year after 22 years of service, they've needed repairs over the years and one required a freon refill every spring. I have neighbors that replace the original units years ago and their replacement units before I replaced my originals. ARS is really good at selling replacement units. I have an independent guy that maintains my units and is a firm believer in doing minor repairs before replacement. I DIYd replacement of the blower motor on the first floor unit twice in 22 years. The last time I took it to a shop to swap the motor I was in and out in 30 minutes with the new motor installed in the squirrel cage assembly and $130 poorer. But it kept the AC running another year until I could schedule a swap at my and my HVAC guy's convenience in the winter. It was $130 well spent. I'd bet I didn't spend the cost of a replacement unit in 22 years of regular maintenance.

On average, a refrigerator with those features and without an ice maker or water dispenser can last between 10 and 20 years. However, this will depend on how the refrigerator is maintained and how often it is used. If maintained properly, the refrigerator could last even longer.
So, we are within the time when a replacement may be needed....

Still using my Harvest Gold fridge and range from 1970's... heard the newer appliances don't last very long any more...

My Kenmore is coming upon 28 yrs. I have had to work on icemaker and replace water solenoids. Right now I don't have a water connection so am using neither water nor icemaker.

My Kenmore is coming upon 28 yrs. I have had to work on icemaker and replace water solenoids. Right now I don't have a water connection so am using neither water nor icemaker.
Icemakers are a pain, I only seem to get about a year out of them... gave up on replacing them 40 years ago...

Last edited:
I gotta have an ice maker and water. I drink water all day then switch to unsweet ice tea at dinner time. We've had 4 refrigerators in the last 3 years but the LG we have now is still going strong! HaHa. If you get stainless steel, get the fingerprint resistant or you'll be wiping fingerprints off frequently.

We sold a house with refer #1. We bought a house with refer#2, an old Kenmore from the 70's?. We bought a new refer #3, a GE but I absolutely hated that refrigerator! Bought refer #4, a LG very similar to refer #1. Love It!

IMG_3548.jpg

When I lost the supply line to the fridge ice maker I purchased a countertop unit for around $100. It has been working for over 6 years. I dump the ice into the fridge for dispensing. I like the small bullet cubes (why do we call them cubes?) For two people I had to make ice about once per week.For just me maybe every 2 weeks.

When I lost the supply line to the fridge ice maker I purchased a countertop unit for around $100. It has been working for over 6 years. I dump the ice into the fridge for dispensing. I like the small bullet cubes (why do we call them cubes?) For two people I had to make ice about once per week.For just me maybe every 2 weeks.
How big is your ice maker?

How big is your ice maker?
About 13" tall with about a 10"W x 13"D footprint. It's an Igloo but I just did a quick check on Amazon and this Frigidaire is identical. I store the ice in the freezer to get it colder than 32°F.
https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-EFIC101-BLACK-Ice-Maker-Day/dp/B00KC8Y2ZE/ref=sr_1_19?crid=1I2RDW4UQX2EQ&keywords=igloo+ice+maker&qid=1673883117&sprefix=igloo,aps,257&sr=8-19&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

71nwK6MEQrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

No Republican MLK Jr. Sale today?
Haven't seen any sales marking MLK Day. Probably not the best holiday to roll out sales, I'd bet it would be slammed in the media. This is a good holiday to pay quiet respects or attend a church service. TVs should be going on sale soon for the Superbowl. President's Day is a typical time for large appliance sales.

Best Time to buy appliances

I think an important part is where to get a fridge, or specifically, what retailer offers the best EXTENDED warranty because as stated, they will break. There will never be another 30 year appliance.

Costco gives a 2 year total warranty if you have their credit card. There is no other warranty you can buy.

HD and Lowe's here now offer a 5 Year extended warranty...

Harbor Freight has sales pretty much all the time, like a sales circular from CVS or Kroger. No where in the email ad I got from them, or the linked coupon does it make reference to MLK. You aren't seeing large blow out sales for furniture from Rooms to Go, appliances at Best Buy or Lowe's highlighting MLK. It would be great if Memorial Day got the same respect, but that ship sailed along time ago. Happy should not be a term used with Memorial Day or MLK Day, respect should be.

Back