When to replace a fridge?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a specific brand that you might recommend for longevity or ease of repair? I think my Whirlpool is 15 or more years old and I have experienced ice maker and water solenoid problems. I gave up on both due to freeze damage of the overhead copper supply line. I have considered replacement of the line with PEX but a counter top ice maker is presently taking care of my needs since I live alone. I run the unit long enough to get a weeks supply and dump it into the freezer ice bin to have colder ice.

I do have the special brush to clean the coils but I can't recall the last time I cleaned them so I am very lax on maintaining the fridge.
Repairmen suggest you stay away from Samsung and LG as they are the most trouble prone. And never get ice/water in the refrigerator door (only in a freezer door)

Repairmen suggest you stay away from Samsung and LG as they are the most trouble prone. And never get ice/water in the refrigerator door (only in a freezer door)
That effectively removes the most popular style of refrigerator/freezer on the market today, French door/refrigerator on top.

I am also thing about replacing a old frig ,kenmore with ice maker , the thing is 30 years old and still works, the only trouble i had was a blocked drain line to defroster. the thing is a battle horse .

Back