Who else is watching Obammie's State of the Union Address?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep that’s 1500 bucks you could have paid an employee he would have made money and you would have made money on his labor and both of you would have paid taxes on the greater amount of money. Call it trickle down if you like but that’s how it works.

Everyone in business expects rules and regulations it would be like a football game without rules or referees. Pretty soon players would be showing up with switchblades and AK47 if there was just reward but no rules to winning. So everyone expects rules and regulations, and you can chose to get into a business based around the rules and if you can make money. It’s when you keep changing the rules as the game goes on it is not fair. The team is first and 10 and runs the ball 11 yards and the ref goes wait that just got changed you need 12 now for a first down. That’s what they are doing to every industry and utility and any other industry they want to win or lose. Team A you need 12 yards for a first down team B you also need 12 yards we want to be fair now,oh but by the way team B gets an incentive of 3 yards per play because we want that team to win.

That implies he is in a game against his employees or the government, and that is wrong. He is in a game with his competetors and the ground rules are the same evan when those rules are changing. When competing there few rules.
The problem in any small business is one question, when can I pass this on to the customer and can I add a little extra for me and what and when will the competitors do

After that there few rules for him, he can have a small crew and work them every day or he could hire five crews and spend more time on sales and bill collecting. Every size of small business will have their own set of complaints.

There are some things we never talk about while we are complaining like the perks. We don't talk about the odd tank of a gas in the wifes car on the company card, or having the crew come over and install the new septic system. We don't write a personal check when we have the boys over to help us move from house to house. And we likely wouldn't know how or want to figure out with all of this to actually know what persentage we actually paid out.

My problem is I try to run thing by the book. If I have guys work at my house I pay them from money from my checks. My truck gets filled with money from my paycheck. I also have a work truck that on occasion I do use for personal use but it is a work truck with no luxuries so it is not often. I don't ever get paid in cash since I do commercial work so there is no hiding anything for me. It is actually cheaper to pay my guys from my check than to pay them from the company because after taxes and work comp that 25 bucks an hour turns into 43 bucks an hour. I am on payroll and an employee just like all my employee's. I don't want to be that guy with no social security or other benefits because of the way I paid myself.

It is truly a real struggle to get ahead, my company brings in good money but at the end of the day there is not much left. My foreman makes more than I do and that shouldn't be. Last year I paid more money in required insurances and taxes than anything else I spent money on.

By all means I still feel like a success and still feel I am getting ahead but it just knocks me back a little when people can do nothing and be at the same level as me. I am only banking on a better retirement and being able to leave something to my kids so that their struggle can be a little less than mine.

I am still a believer and proof that in America you can be anything you want to be and make as much money as you want if you try, but you have to try. Problem is most people don't try or won't work for it and our society is teaching them that hand outs are the way to go.

I think ours costs more, we have 10 paid days off for Canada day and Labour day and such, Two weeks holiday a year, 3 after three and 4 after five and 5 after 7. But anyone that wants to keep long tirm good employees has the same problem. But all my competitors would have the same complaint.
Even if some new gov. could figure out how to lower all these expences, you would still have a problem, do you lower your prices or make more money and the biggest question is still what does the compeditor do. And of coarse the employees also would know about your what would look like a winfall and would expect their share.

You are also breaking the rules when you pay cash to your employees, or you would be up here. They will not likely report these earnings so you a party to tax evasion and you are working with people that are not covered by WCB. The proper way to do it is to pay with company money and you pay the company at cost. Of coarse non of you compeditors are doing that.

I pay guys cash when they work at my house, it is then up to them to report the earnings, not me. I never pay cash for work done at work. It would be the same as you hiring a guy to work on your lawn, it is not your responsibility to make sure he does the right thing.

If I wanted to I could pay cash to my guys at work to as long as I report it. I don't because a payroll company is much easier.

I don't pay my guys for any holidays at the moment, I would like to but there is not enough extra money to do so. If I charge more for jobs than I would just not get the jobs. Its a tough business to be in.

Last edited:
Of course you are in business against your competitors but the rules are different for different people. Say you sell energy. Coal is bad very bad. Natural gas is pretty bad. Oil is bad. Wind is real good. Solar is really really good. If your company cant make a profit and will never make a profit but the government likes what you are doing they give you help. You get in that business not to make anything just for the help. If you built a business with a set of rules and the government doesn’t like what you are doing they slap you with a carbon tax. If you are a non union auto company headquarter over seas and making every single part of the car in the USA with American workers you get no help. If you are an American car company with a big union and get 90% of your parts overseas you get bailed out. The last 7 years has been picking winners and losers based around elections and who helped who.

Government isn’t the solution they are the problem.

Chris has a friend that’s on the dole. If we took all the freebies away would he die? Would he sit around a little bit and say I better get my butt in gear and do something?

I just came from a local area (Mountain Ave and the 10 Fwy) and saw 7 panhandlers, all vying to take money from you as you drive by. Every one of those guys were able bodied and it amazes me how many motorists just toss them money left and right. Funny thing is about 300 yards away is a car wash that always has a sign un which says "Help Needed." Do you think it is just easier to sit on your arse and collect money than to work for it? Well, these last 7 years prove exactly my point.

Of course you are in business against your competitors but the rules are different for different people. Say you sell energy. Coal is bad very bad. Natural gas is pretty bad. Oil is bad. Wind is real good. Solar is really really good. If your company cant make a profit and will never make a profit but the government likes what you are doing they give you help. You get in that business not to make anything just for the help. If you built a business with a set of rules and the government doesn’t like what you are doing they slap you with a carbon tax. If you are a non union auto company headquarter over seas and making every single part of the car in the USA with American workers you get no help. If you are an American car company with a big union and get 90% of your parts overseas you get bailed out. The last 7 years has been picking winners and losers based around elections and who helped who.

Government isn’t the solution they are the problem.

Chris has a friend that’s on the dole. If we took all the freebies away would he die? Would he sit around a little bit and say I better get my butt in gear and do something?

My buddy was a very hard working person, worked two and three jobs at a time. He did great until he got a taste of the easy life, as soon as he got one form of assistance that same government office told him how to collect another and another.

I agree 100%, its all about who you support now. Has nothing to do with what the plan is or how good it is.

Havasu, I see that all the time around here, we have one offramp that has the same few guys who rotate to collect money. I've seen the same guy for a couple years now, always the same sign, unemployed vet trying to feed family.

One advantage of living where we have 4 or 5 months of blizzards per year. Those guys never make it around here they get on the first bus to Southern California.

I am pretty certain that it would be the exact same thing. You can't build a 1000 unit apartment and throw all the homeless in it and expect things to be civil. If you have ever been to downtown you would know these are not normal people that are homeless, these are the kind of homeless that will shank you for your shoes.

I called my bartender/bookie today. When he answered the phone, I knew at that point it wasn't me who won....however I did win $2 on a $10 ticket! Whoo hoo, I only lost $8!

When they first put the readers in the stores here, the one that check you ticket, they just said you are a winner, not how much. One of the girls that worked for me checked her ticket and when it said you are a winner, she yelled and sreamed and kissed half the people in the store and made wild promises to people working there before should found out she had won $1.

We bought 25 tickets at work between 8 people for the last go around. We won the power ball 4 whole bucks. My cut was 50 cents. I told the guy that went for the tickets to keep it for gas.

I won 12 bucks but sadly spent more than ten times that.

I tossed 40 bucks on our super lotto because no one else was playing it so my odds would be better, I was wrong.

I rarely play the lotto so every now and again I don't mind throwing some money at it. You can't win if you don't play.

I'm not posting this to continue the discussion above, as that would be futile. And I'm not even dissing conservatism, everyone has a right to their opinions, and not everything is wrong just because you're on the other side of the red/blue line.
But I thought I would bring up this subject because as the race tightens, I wish common sense would start to take over:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/o...ald-trump.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Yep, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Even Peter Weiner....what a name to live with!

I think the reason we are seeing Trumps popularity is people are sick and tired of the BS that professional politicians spew to get elected , then become elitist and forget why they were sent there. It doesn't mater what party you support, there's really little difference. Trump brings a different solution for the problem of big government. Am I a Trump supporter, no. Am I glad he entered the race, you bet. About time someone shook things up in Washington.

I sincerely hope someone can gain traction and become a leader that will bring unity, have fiscal responsibility and restore our role of leadership in this troubled world.

Latest posts

Back