20amp Outlet with 15amp Breaker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_GS

Reaction score
I don't know much about electrical but just trying to find an answer on a question that I've been trying to research. Back story is I'm having my whirlpool tub replaced and the 2.1hp motor requires a 20amp gfci outlet for the pump. The wiring for the outlet was already ran prior to me moving in however they only used a standard 15amp outlet which in my opinion should of at least been a gfci. That outlet seems to be tied into one of the lights in the bathroom (which one I don't know). My question is the new outlet (20amp gfci) is installed and hooked up however the breakers for the bathroom are all 15amp breakers.

My question is can a 20amp gfci be used on a 15amp breaker and will it possibly trip the breaker considering the pump puts out 14.4 amps?

The old outlet was probably protected with the gfci in the bathroom. The breaker sould be 20 amp but that requires the wire to be # 12 rather than the #14 that you likely have now.

Putting a 20 AMP GFCI on a 15 amp circuit will not increase the ampacity of the circuit. It is still a 15 amp circuit. If the pump motor is running at 14.4 amps and you have other items on the circuit it will certainly trip in time.

Your 15 amp outlet in the bathroom could be downstream of a GFCI outlet in another bathroom or wet location. It is fairly typical to put bathrooms together and to use a GFCI in the first outlet from the panel to protect everything downstream.

My whirlpool is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit with a GFCI breaker. I don't have any heaters, just a pump for the jets. I'd suggest doing the same for yours.

You are going to want a 20 amp breaker, but you need to determine if the wire is 12 or 14 gauge before anything else.
They are all links in the same chain. A 20 amp breaker should have 12 gauge wire, and a 20 amp outlet. The GFCI isn't directly a concern here. Having an overrated outlet won't hurt - except for mistakenly thinking the rest of the circuit can handle the load.

(echoing what was said above. We must have all been typing at the same time);)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys. That's what I was concerned about. The pump being 14.4 and the breaker only being 15 I figured it would more than likely trip it. It is suggested to run the pump to its own 20amp breaker. I'll talk to the contractor tomorrow and see if he can add a 20amp single pole gfci breaker to the box.

Yea I will but I highly doubt it's 12ga. Everything didn't really seem to be done 100% correctly

Talked to the contractor and asked him about the wiring that was in the previous 15amp outlet. He said that the #14 wiring is fine for a 20amp outlet if it's not running heavy duty things like fridge/stove/etc... Not sure how true that is.

Also questioned about the breaker only being 15amps and he said he wouldn't know until he test the pump with the light on to see if it trips and if it does he can just swap out the 15amp breaker with a 20amp breaker. Not sure if that would take care of the issue.

My only concern is I don't know much about electrical and I would hate for something to cause a fire. I could just be over thinking everything but I just like to double check to be sure.

Last edited:
The outlet alone makes no difference as I think inside they are the same. And it may work as is but NO do not let him change the breaker, a twenty amp breaker requires #12 wire.

Thanks for the response. Now that you said that he did say if he had to he would run new wires for it so I'm pretty sure it would be #12

If you have things open for an easy run for a new wire, I would have that done now. The unit might work now on a 15 amp breaker but what happens when the motor has a few years on it or you want to upgrade in a few years.
I am suprised he actually put a 20 amp outlet in, who was he triing to fool.

What do you mean by that? The pump says it needs to be run into a 20amp gfci

It may be knew to you but the contractor knows that 20 amp outlet also means #12 wire and 20 amp breaker. If he didn't know that, he shouldn't be involved. Just changing the outlet would not hurt anything but would never have helped anything either.

Talked to the contractor and asked him about the wiring that was in the previous 15amp outlet. He said that the #14 wiring is fine for a 20amp outlet if it's not running heavy duty things like fridge/stove/etc... Not sure how true that is.

Also questioned about the breaker only being 15amps and he said he wouldn't know until he test the pump with the light on to see if it trips and if it does he can just swap out the 15amp breaker with a 20amp breaker. Not sure if that would take care of the issue.

My only concern is I don't know much about electrical and I would hate for something to cause a fire. I could just be over thinking everything but I just like to double check to be sure.

A 14 amp load from the tub would be considered a large load. it is much larger than a fridge.

Changing the breaker is not the answer if the wire is only #14.

If the tub recommends a separate breaker then it should be installed on its own breaker.

Generally a 20A receptacle is only used for heavy duty things, like motors, heavy power tools, etc. As far as your whirlpool is concerned, if the motor is drawing 14.4A, then by Code it must be on a 20A circuit using 12 AWG wire with GFCI protection. Basically the 14 gauge wire you have there now is no good for that motor. You'll need a new 12 gauge wire run to it. I would recommend the new run not be tied into anything else.

this is a little off-topic here in we can't use #14 at all 15a must be run in #12 even when code says 15a is #14 here it's just the way the inspector is

Dude, if the contractor told you this with a straight face, i would question everything he says.

:eek:

:eek::eek:

...whew...

Does this "contractor" have an electrician's license or has one in his employ? Has anyone read the install manual to see what the manufacturer
instructions are related to installation?

The tub needs to have its' own dedicated 20A circuit(s).

Drawing through #14 from a 20A breaker is just begging for it IMO.

Yea I have my concerns as well. It's obvious he didn't read the install instructions.

I'm going to suggest a #12 wire be ran but that brings up another question then, what do you do with the old #14 wire that's currently there if you run a #12? Do you trace it back to where it's tied in to remove it completely or can you just "cap" the ends of the wires and leave them in the wall?

Latest posts

Back