20amp Outlet with 15amp Breaker

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As suggested by others, it's time to insist that a electrician looks after it.
Let us know what they come up with.

Agreed and that's the route I'm going. I've already contacted several. I'm having him wrap up the tile and don't worry about the outlet. I'll have someone come in and run a new line to its own breaker.

This ordeal has caused nothing but headaches for me but it's a good learning experience for me. I appreciate the advice given and I'm fully taking it. I just wanted to confirm with others who are more familiar with electrical work then me to confirm my suspicions about what I'm being told.

The old #14 can be left capped off in an accessible box. You can't " just "cap" the ends of the wires and leave them in the wall".

Gotcha that would make more sense I'm just trying to get an understanding as the contractor was saying if he has to run a #12 wire that he would have to trace the current #14 wiring back to where it's connected to and remove all the wiring. I'm not trying to have him rip though all the walls to trace the wire and remove it.

I don't know my way around wiring that well but I can tell when something doesn't seem right and just need to get feedback from others that do know. The calls are in the electricians and I'll get this properly resolved. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone confirming my thoughts.

I thought you said that other lights were on the dame circuit. If so, you cannot simply "cap the wires" unless the tub connection was the last connection on the circuit. Otherwise the other lights will not work.

I thought you said that other lights were on the dame circuit. If so, you cannot simply "cap the wires" unless the tub connection was the last connection on the circuit. Otherwise the other lights will not work.

In that case he would just remove the outlet and join the wires with a wire nuts and install the blank cover.
And welcome to the site.

Yes it is apparently tied into some wiring for one of the lights. I don't know how that works so I was just trying to get some feedback so I can sound knowledgable in case he tries to tell me other wise. At this point an electrician is coming in to finish the job so I can have the peace of mind that no fire will happen because of some bad wiring or overloading an outlet/breaker.

Well if there is other lighting on the #14 you can’t disconnect it from the panel. You / they will have to figure out how it is run to the lighting etc and then figure the best way to disconnect it.

I don't want it disconnected from the panel just the #14 wire from the old outlet to me closed off and then a new #12 ran from the new outlet to a new 20 amp break so it's on it's own breaker

There's no reason I can think of where you can't use that #14 circuit for normal use. You just can't use it for the tub. Put a 15 amp outlet on it, and then run a new line with a new box for the tub.

I'm done with the whole thing. The mortar bed was not done correctly to fill in the whole footing of the tub like I asked. That coupled with the other things, he's done.

I'd go with option 1. This isn't the first time that he didn't do what I asked. I'm glad I check the outlet for the pump because he put a standard outlet in again and not a gfci like he said he would. Thankfully I looked at caught it.

The light circuit(s) shouldn't be (but can be) on the dedicated 20A bathroom receptacle circuit(s) (the tub being on its' own dedicated 20A circuit) as if the GFCI device trips, you will be suddenly bathing in the dark... :hide:

There is specific code(s) for bath wiring. If there is a lamp that needs to be GFCI protected (say shower lamp), it should be on a GFCI protected circuit (15A or 20A) (OK to put on GFCI protected receptacle circuit). Regular bath lighting does not require it.

Just wondering, did this guy pull permits? :confused:

And don't try to worry much as this happens to a lot of people. Going by code costs money and doesn't seem important to many, but it sure makes sense in the long run.

The old wire does not need to be physically removed. Once it is disconnected from the power at the source box the old wires can left in the walls.

Latest posts

Back