1895 Victorian Sub Floor Gap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
In my 1895 Victorian house, one room had some thin oak flooring strips that were not level. Pulling them up, I found that the pine boards underneath were cupped at the ends. I also saw that the pine boards had quite a gap between their ends and the edge of the floor. Should I build some inserts to bridge the gaps a bit before I replace the oak strips as I have sanded down the cupping?

Thanks!

Vince

Attachments

• Flooring Gaps.jpg
    Flooring Gaps.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 13
Is that like a bay window area, I would bet the two were closer at one time. Investigate some more and see if there is a cause to this before you patch it and make the problem impossible to fix.

Thanks for the reply! This is in the middle of the house at a door jamb with the original door and plaster walls and no gaps elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply! This is in the middle of the house at a door jamb with the original door and plaster walls and no gaps elsewhere.
You would have to get something under it to support it or do some cut and replace back to the joists. If you never noticed it before and you are replacing with similar thickness, might be fine as is.

Back