20A gfi in remodel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am doing a remodel of our bathroom, and want to make sure all is up to the current code.

The bathroom has 3 outlets, the first on is the GFI itself with the additional 2 outlets on the load side of the gfi.

Is it ok to add lights on the same circuit, and if so, do they get powered from the load or the line side of the gfi?

--------------------

In a related matter, I was checking the kitchen gfi's, and discovered that one of the 4 gfi circuits in the kitchen powers the lights from the load side of the gfi, which causes the lights to go out if a ground fault is detected. Is this ok, or should I move the kitchen light circuit from the load side of the gfi and power it from the line side?

Thanks,

Art

Yes you can power the lights from the same circuit off the line side of the gfi.

Kitchen counter receptacle circuits are not supposed to have anything but kitchen counter receptacles on them.
20 amp bathroom circuit is permitted to have lights on it if it only serves the one bathroom. Code does not specify if the light need to be GFCI unless the fixture is over the tub. I would not GFCI them. The lights will stay on if the GFCI trips.

Back