A/C retrofit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Searching for some retrofit fittings for '85 Ford. Doesn't take the ones that Chevy and Dodge take. Ford is smaller. Not much bigger than a tire valve stem. Can't find the high side port at all. I have traced every inch of the system.

Have you bought the kit at the auto parts store for about 12 bucks? I bought one yesterday for my old jeep. does the ford have the old compressor with the valves on top? My 85 Jeep has that with a high and low right there.

The Ford has the low one on the far driver's side right behind the headlight. Cannot find the high port. Yeah I bought that $12 kit, but they are too big to go on the low port. I have one coming that I bought on line, it is supposed to fit. We will see.

If not let me know, I have a drawer full of misc fittings I can look through for you.

Well I was totally wrong. On the old Ford, the high side is the small port. I cannot find the low port. Tomorrow I will trace every inch of line.

Look directly under your oil filler tube. your AC line should cross there and it will have a black cap on it. Hopefully.

I found it, but I think I am out of luck. It is on the compressor. Not enough room for a fitting to go on it I don't think. I will try tonight.

Probably the same as my jeep, I havent tried yet to change mine to R134

Well, that is the high pressure relief valve. I even found the sight glass. I have had a couple other people look, but no one can find the low port.

Can you use an t12 gauge and fill with 134? Might solve the fitting problem

Can you get a picture of your compressor? I want to see if it is the same as mine? I might need that fitting.

Will try tomorrow, T storms now.

Latest posts

Back