AC is not blowing cold

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
What are my troubleshooting steps?

Someone told me to check the filter, then the freon level.

Someone also once told me to pour some vinegar in the PVC sticking out of the unit.

Where can I find the filter?

IMG_20160811_010039859.jpg

IMG_20160811_010045501.jpg

Last edited:
How bout a few things to check?

1. First, take a look at the copper pipes coming from the indoor coil. This is the cooling coil. Feel the larger of the two copper pipes. The large pipe should be cool (around 50 degrees), but not freezing and absolutely no ice. If the larger pipe has any ice on it, the evaporator (cooling) coil is frozen and will have to be thawed before you do any more troubleshooting. Feel both pipes. The smaller (3/8") pipe should feel about body temperature. If it is very hot, it is an indication that your outdoor coil is dirty or the outdoor fan is not running properly. If both pipes are warm, check your outdoor unit to see if it is running.

2. IF the indoor coil is frozen, allow it to thaw thoroughly before troubleshooting. Here are some things to check. Check to make sure your filter is clean. check to make sure both the indoor and outdoor coils are clean. check to make sure both the indoor and outdoor fans are running. Check to make sure the compressor is running.

I have some more detailed troubleshooting tips on my website, but this should give you a good place to start. If you would like to take a look at some other more detailed troubleshooting tips, you can find them here http://airandenergysolutionsonline.com/diyjacksontn

How bout a few things to check?

1. First, take a look at the copper pipes coming from the indoor coil. This is the cooling coil. Feel the larger of the two copper pipes. The large pipe should be cool (around 50 degrees), but not freezing and absolutely no ice. If the larger pipe has any ice on it, the evaporator (cooling) coil is frozen and will have to be thawed before you do any more troubleshooting. Feel both pipes. The smaller (3/8") pipe should feel about body temperature. If it is very hot, it is an indication that your outdoor coil is dirty or the outdoor fan is not running properly. If both pipes are warm, check your outdoor unit to see if it is running.

2. IF the indoor coil is frozen, allow it to thaw thoroughly before troubleshooting. Here are some things to check. Check to make sure your filter is clean. check to make sure both the indoor and outdoor coils are clean. check to make sure both the indoor and outdoor fans are running. Check to make sure the compressor is running.

I have some more detailed troubleshooting tips on my website, but this should give you a good place to start. If you would like to take a look at some other more detailed troubleshooting tips, you can find them here http://airandenergysolutionsonline.com/diyjacksontn

1. Should I remove the insulation from the larger indoor copper pipe to check the temperature? I don't really know what 50 degrees feels like with my hands. Is there a contact thermometer I can use?

2. Where is the filter?

3. How do I get to the indoor and outdoor coils? Does this involve removing metal housing? What do I clean it with? Coil cleaner in a spray can?

4. How do I check to make sure the compressor is running?

You may want to call a technician. Most of what you need to do requires special tools, equipment and materials (that may require a license).

I took off some intake vents just under the unit.

I can see the filter from underneath. Am I supposed to get it from underneath or take off part of the front of the unit?

I have taken many screws off the front of the unit and don't see an easy way to get any panels off.

IMG_20160813_035605893.jpg

IMG_20160813_053714091.jpg

IMG_20160813_053729595.jpg

I took off some intake vents just under the unit.

I can see the filter from underneath. Am I supposed to get it from underneath or take off part of the front of the unit?

I have taken many screws off the front of the unit and don't see an easy way to get any panels off.

The top door will slide up and then lift out and then the bottom door will slide up and out.

I can get the top door up, but can't get it out because the gas vent pipe is in the way.

Am I supposed to take off the vent pipe?

Is this what I'm going to have to do every 3 months to change the filter?

You only have to take them up about 3/4" so if you can push the top one up maybe you can leave it up and open the bottom door.

Okay I got the filter out. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering.

1. What do I do about cleaning that dusty, dirty room where air enters the ducts.

2. The filter is 25x23. I can't find an exact match at the store.

3. Should I be pouring vinegar into the drain line?

IMG_20160814_241907285.jpg

1. What do I do about cleaning that dusty, dirty room where air enters the ducts.
CLEAN THE ROOM AND INTEGRATE A PRE-FILTER

2. The filter is 25x23. I can't find an exact match at the store.
YOU WILL HAVE TO MODIFY A 25x25

3. Should I be pouring vinega
NO THUS WILLNOT HELP YOUR SITUATION.

This is as far as i could get with just the picture you posted: http://www.rheem.com/productdocuments.aspx?quiet 80
Dig in, and you might find your unit.

It's working. Thanks for all your help.

I have a couple more questions.

1. How can I clean the indoor coils? When I try to remove the casing, the gas vent is in the way. Do I have to remove the gas vent to do this?

2. How can I check refrigerant? YouTube told me that if there is condensation coming from the copper tube, then my freon is okay. However, I have two copper tubes. One is about an inch and wrapped in insulation. The other is smaller and not wrapped in anything. Neither of these had condensation on it that I could see, although I think it would be hard to tell for the one wrapped in insulation. How do I check to make sure my refrigerant is full and clean.

3. How do I know if I need a new refrigerant filter?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back