Adding A Heavy Duty Strike Plate

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom25B

Reaction score
Hi All- I saw a recommendation on TV to replace the super flimsy strike and bolt plates with a dual heavy duty plate. The instructions state if there is a 1/8" gap I can just surface mount the plate, which is what I've done temporarily here. Would you guys mortise it in? I bought a 1" chisel but have never done it before. ALSO: I've seen the recommendations to put in a 3" screw for additional security, but does this assume no sidelight? I'm almost afraid to drill a pilot hole then screw in a 3" screw.

Thanks!

IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4792.JPG

In your case the 3" screws will be to long.
In most cases the plate is recessed so it does not hit the the side of the door.
As wide as that plate is it's going to be tricky to to remove the wood on the left side without splitting the jamb.
If I was doing it I'd leave the plate in place, mark the top and bottom with a pencil, and use the plate as a guide to make repeated passes with a utility knife along the sides of the plate.
After the first pass I'll use a hammer to tap on the back side of the utility knife so I can make a deeper line faster.
Once that's done remove the plate and tap the chisel at a right angle to the jamb with the tapered side of the chicle facing the latch hole making sure it's tapped in slightly more than the thickness of the latch plate.
When removing the rest of the wood make sure to have the tapered side of the chicle facing the jamb so you can use it as a fulcrum to control the depth better.
I find it easier to to start in the middle and work my way out to the chicle marks at the top and bottom.

Back