Another work truck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
So this time the deal came to me.

Picked up this rig today for two grand. Has high miles but had a complete new dealer motor installed a little over a year ago. runs great but has some cosmetic issues. I am now the proud owner of a 7.3.

What do you think.

Best part was it came with a full 50 gallon fuel tank and about another 50 gallon in the bed tank. Came how you see it. Some tools and all.

View attachment IMG_20120924_153214.jpg

View attachment IMG_20120924_153232.jpg

Sweet, cut that frame off and you'd have a nice toy hauler for your sand rail or you could get 3 4wheelers on there side ways...just sayin.

Sounds like a steal. You find the VIN# yet? ;)

Yup all legal, got it from the same guy I got the other white truck from. He likes to give me deals on his older stuff when he buys new. Hoping for his Denali soon.

99-2000? Great engine. Great score!

99'

So now in my fleet of Ford (Ask Rik they all break down because they are Fords)

1994 F250 5.8 Standard cab XL long bed pipe rack 2wd
1996 F250 5.8 Extra cab XLT long bed pipe rack, tool box and 120 gallon fuel tank 2wd
1999 F350 7.3 Standard cab XL 12' flat bed pipe rack tool boxes 120 gallon fuel tank 2wd
2003 F250 6.0 Crew Cab Lariat long bed headache rack tool box and 88 gallon fuel tank 4wd
2006 F250 6.8 Crew Cab XLT Short bed 5th wheel puller 2wd
2003 Explorer 4.6 Fully loaded 4wd

Do I own enough fords?

Just to show that they don't last here are the mileages.

Pretty sure they are built Ford tough? Do I sound bitter?

I'm glad you are not my neighbor if all of those are parked around your house!

No I usually keep the 03 and the 06 here. others are at employees or in the mountains. I spread them out because I hate cars parked on the street and hate my driveway full. Once I get the 5th wheel back in its home I will have my driveway back.

We work on a bunch of customer trucks here. The trend seems to be; if it is a 7.3, it needs glow plugs or glow plug controller. If it is newer than 2003.5, 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7....why did you get rid of the 7.3? The 6.0 has the most problems. I'm a Ford guy, but will never part with my 7.3.

This is my first 7.3 and I like the motor but don't know if I need the truck. In that case I will make it a donor for a mid 70's f250. I love those trucks.

Nice truck, I wish deals half that good came my way.

One of the benefits of being a contractor with contractor friends.

That swap sounds like a great plan. If it were me, I'd start looking for a COE and build me a cool truck.

That 7.3 is not as powerful, efficient or quiet as the newer engines, but it will still be running when the others are just a memory.

Yea, sorry. Cab Over Engine. I like the 55ish Ford COE. Some day I want to build one that'll carry one car and pull a trailer if needed. Many guys will build them as four doors or add an old school sleeper on the back of the cab. Not sure if the crew cabs were original, or if creative body workers graft two together.

That would be nice. I'll have to look into those.

Not a huge fan of the Dodge body style but I really like the lower one.

Latest posts

Back