Any GOOD, but free & easy to learn Kitchen (cabinet) design software out there?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyoldman

Reaction score
We're looking to get rid of our construction grade kitchen cabinets, as well as adding a cabinet to our kitchen island. Looked at a few 'free' deign software options, but they are by the big box stores or Ikea, and things are kind of 'skewed' towards buying from them. There are some others that are kind of difficult to learn or aren't much better than graph paper and a pencil. Some better ones cost $$ or are free to begin with & then cost $$ after a period of time. Hoping to find something that is good, easy to learn & use, and can give a 3D image visualization of what the kitchen with cabinets will look like. Giving a 'cut list' with be great as well. Figured I would ask here. Thanks in advance to all who help or advise!

I haven't seen any plans like that but haven't really searched either. A friend of mine remodeled his kitchen and left original cabinets where he could as they were structurally sound. Matching doors and drawer fronts were installed on the new and the old and the result was striking. I think a mutual friend who is a master carpenter built any new boxes required plus the new island. Doors, drawer fronts, granite and spray painting were provided by others.

And because I searched the subject, I'm getting ads in Facebook for the RTA Store and their DIY design tool. www.theRTAstore.com

Cabinets To-Go didn't have one, though they offer free online design services.

I stumbled upon your post while scrolling through, and I gotta say, I feel your struggle! Designing kitchen cabinets can be a daunting task, especially when you're on a budget. I've had my fair share of tinkering with free design software, and while some are decent, finding the perfect balance of user-friendliness and functionality can be like searching for a needle in a haystack!

I stumbled upon your post while scrolling through, and I gotta say, I feel your struggle! Designing kitchen cabinets can be a daunting task, especially when you're on a budget. I've had my fair share of tinkering with free design software, and while some are decent, finding the perfect balance of user-friendliness and functionality can be like searching for a needle in a haystack!
We gave up on computer designing the kitchen, too Thnksenett! I use CAD, but my program and skills aren't suited for a Sketchup like kitchen design. Part way into the project, I realized that I was spending an awful lot of time learning a computer program that I'll use once in my life.

Plan B To The Rescue: Colorforms!
We got a Colorforms type board and some of the material and cut out cabinets & appliances to size. We could peel and stick and re-arrange to our hearts' content.
I didn't even have to call Tech Support once! (This genius plan was from my wife's problem solving mind.)

Paul
Dry Erase boards work well for Colorform-like work, as does about any glossy surface.
Printable removable vinyl sheets come in colors and work as cabinets. Your ink jet can print the sizes or names iof cabinets & appliances on the sheet before you cut them out. (We used ball point pens instead.)
Whiteboard stickers work, too.

Back