Any way to fix the gap between these cabinets after countertops are on?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
There's a gap to the left of the Lazy Susan. Don't know why this happened. The cabinets are flat. The floor is flat.

Attachments

• 0412180832.jpg
    0412180832.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 0412180832a.jpg
    0412180832a.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 61
Put a C clamp on it and lightly see if it will pull in. LIGHTLY is the key word as I know it will pull in with snapping sounds.

You have to remember Neal that FarmerJohn always asks for advice after he has done the project. Of course if he had asked first we could have explained the correct method. But that never seems to happen and we never go backwards so that leaves the multi step method described above. This method has worked on the last 25 projects why wouldn’t it work again.

If you can't fix the gap, hide it. Get some iron on veneer tape the width of both cabinet sides plus the gap, of the wood of your cabinets, stain it to match after applying it to the cabinet

#1, There is no such Thing as a perfectly flat floor.
Looks like those cabinets were never clamped together and screw, should have been done before the tops went on.
May have to remove the toe kick before trying to pull them together.

So he pulls the side over and the floor falls out and the door no longer covers the hole.:(

What floor do you mean?

The doors don't cover the hole as it is.

Attachments

• 0414180335.jpg
    0414180335.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 25
If you can't fix the gap, hide it. Get some iron on veneer tape the width of both cabinet sides plus the gap, of the wood of your cabinets, stain it to match after applying it to the cabinet

Yes, I would be worried about getting an exact match. I have touched up spots using stain markers, but they were very small.

This gap is 1/2" at the bottom.

That’s correct. But the gap looks great from the outside. Then he can start 2 more thread one on fixing the floor and one on straitening the door.

What "floor" do you mean?

I didn't install these cabinets. I paid someone $35/box.

The floor of the cabinet. Find some matching material. cut to fit the gap and fill it up.

So no clamps?

Material such as iron on veneer?

I apologize if it seems like I ask repetitive questions, but sometimes it is hard to understand things over text, even if they are simple concepts.

So no clamps?

Material such as iron on veneer?

I apologize if it seems like I ask repetitive questions, but sometimes it is hard to understand things over text, even if they are simple concepts.
Did this happen after you installed the counter or before? How does it look when door are closed or can you adjust the hinges enough to hide it?

Did this happen after you installed the counter or before? How does it look when door are closed or can you adjust the hinges enough to hide it?

I am not sure. I didn't notice until well after the counter was installed. I can't adjust the hinges to hide it.

Stuff like this my dad used to say “Where there is a will there is a way.” Then he would walk away and let me figure it out.

The iron on veneer stuff is not bad if you can find a close enough match, but I would still want to fill some of that gap. I wonder if the cabinets themselves weren't square or if the installers just didn't do the job right.
I'd go to the installers with the photos and tell them it's not straight and there are gaps. If they warrantied their work, they should come back and fix it.

Back