Ariens 824

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarryJ

Reaction score
I have an Ariens 824 snowblower, that the drive gear doesn't seem to be acting right. I do not seem to be able to go thru snow like I use to. I've adjusted the cable, and we had some heavy snow yesterday and I've noticed that I had to push more than usual. And when I got done snowblowing, I was going toward my shed with the snow blower and I noticed black spots coming from under the rear casing. The snow blower seems to be moving fine, just when there is a heavy load it seems to have touble. Now, I don't know if the black drips was just water splashing up inside the case and some oil being mixed with it and dripping down or if I have a problem.
I did not take the cover off the case, because I don't know which way to tip the machine. Also, wouldn't know what to look for.
I don't want to bring it to the repair shop, in case nothing was wrong...he seems to keep the machines longer than needed, and pretty much has the attitude of "it's done, when it's done."
I can't be without my snowblower for weeks.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Barry

Are your skids worn down on the sides of it?

If that is in fact oil, you either cracked the block or blew out a seal. if you are not very mechanically inclined, it's time for a trip to the snow blower doctor. If you want to tackle the problem yourself, you will need to wipe it down real good, fire it up and watch where the oil is leaking from.

It was thick like tar with some "birdseed" mixed in that looks like a mouse decided to nest in side at some earlier date, The engine still runs so, could it still be a cracked block??

it only seems to drip (and not much), after about an hour of running, I notice a few drips here and there as I'm going toward my shed, to put it away. So, like I said, I blew snow for about an hour today, the engine didn't seize and had no oil shoot out that was obvious. So, I question a cracked block

Yeah, if you still have adequate oil in it (I hope you check alot!), I highly doubt you have a cracked block. I do know most snowblowers have a crankshaft which are prone to wearing out the crankshaft seal and/or bearings. I've replaced a few and not too hard, depending again on your mechanical abilities.

(I apologize even writing this "mechanical abilities", but many times I don't know if the writer is elderly, handicapped, young, etc, so I tend to overuse this to avoid having them get in over their heads, and yelling at me!)

Latest posts

Back