Asking the right questions. Roofer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diygirl2023

Reaction score
Replacing the existing roof this year. I see no urgent issues; I bought this townhome nearly 14 years ago, I think it’s time to replace it since I really don’t know if it’s 25 or more years old. My questions are, what questions should I ask when interviewing for a new townhouse roof, should I replace gutters, flash, drip edge, and what kind of warranties should I expect?
I have one skylight, so worried if it’s not flashed correctly, it will leak.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome, former PA person myself. I grew up in Camp Hill.

For your roof, given your freeze thaw climate, things I'd look for:

1. Ice/Water shield on at least the first 3' and at any valleys and low pitched sections of the roof.
2. Given this is a townhouse, continuous ridge venting
3. Replacement of all plumbing vent boots. I just had my roof replaced and we went with this type of boot. Perma-Boot They are a bit more expensive but they don't depend on a rubber gasket that is exposed to the sun to keep the water out. They'll last as long as your roof.
4. Shingle type, spend the extra money and get architectural shingles instead of standard three tabs. They'll last longer, and withstand hail storms and high winds better.
5. All flashing should be replaced
6. If you have metal drip edge that should be replaced as well.
7 Strip the roof down to bare decking and inspect for any damage. I actually had two leaks I didn't know about because they were over the soffits and no water dripped on the ceiling.
8. Gutters are a separate issue. I wouldn't have the roofing contractor replace those as he's going to just sub-contract it out. I kept my original gutters, and my roofers installed gutter guards on the sections I couldn't reach. My house is 3 stories tall in the back and my ladder doesn't come close to reaching my gutters.
9 The warranty is by the manufacturer for the actual shingles. On architectural shingles it is a "lifetime warranty" but it is on only the shingles, not the cost of replacing them. The roofer should include a warranty on his workmanship of at least a year. Damage from wind or hail is covered by your home owner's insurance policy. Mine replaced my 23 year old roof (it was an architectural shingle with a 35 year warranty, but hail had taken its toll on it)

What is ask contractors is covered well by others, above. But here is a thought:

Perhaps think about a metal roof if you're planning to stay a while. They come is all kinds of looks- Slate tile, standing seam, shingle and even cedar shake. Colors galore, too. You can get steel or aluminum.

I know lots of people who have them and are thrilled. Contrary to talk, there is no extra rain noise & hail doesn't dent even aluminum. I love to watch the leaves, snow and ice slide right off of my next door neighbor's roof. No ice dams either! materials are higher than asphalt, but labor is much lower and warranties are far longer with metal. It goes up fast.

One of my brothers put aluminum on his salt box house. One side is about 3:12 and the other is pitched at a steep 21:12. He did it in one day by himself, having never done it in the past. It's so light that he could carry two squares (100 square feet) up at a time. I was impressed!

Best of Luck with your project!
Paul

Welcome, former PA person myself. I grew up in Camp Hill.

For your roof, given your freeze thaw climate, things I'd look for:

1. Ice/Water shield on at least the first 3' and at any valleys and low pitched sections of the roof.
2. Given this is a townhouse, continuous ridge venting
3. Replacement of all plumbing vent boots. I just had my roof replaced and we went with this type of boot. Perma-Boot They are a bit more expensive but they don't depend on a rubber gasket that is exposed to the sun to keep the water out. They'll last as long as your roof.
4. Shingle type, spend the extra money and get architectural shingles instead of standard three tabs. They'll last longer, and withstand hail storms and high winds better.
5. All flashing should be replaced
6. If you have metal drip edge that should be replaced as well.
7 Strip the roof down to bare decking and inspect for any damage. I actually had two leaks I didn't know about because they were over the soffits and no water dripped on the ceiling.
8. Gutters are a separate issue. I wouldn't have the roofing contractor replace those as he's going to just sub-contract it out. I kept my original gutters and roofing manufacturer, and my roofers installed gutter guards on the sections I couldn't reach. My house is 3 stories tall in the back and my ladder doesn't come close to reaching my gutters.
9 The warranty is by the manufacturer for the actual shingles. On architectural shingles it is a "lifetime warranty" but it is on only the shingles, not the cost of replacing them. The roofer should include a warranty on his workmanship of at least a year. Damage from wind or hail is covered by your home owner's insurance policy. Mine replaced my 23 year old roof (it was an architectural shingle with a 35 year warranty, but hail had taken its toll on it)
When interviewing roofing contractors for your townhome, ask about their experience, roofing materials, installation process, warranty coverage, and insurance. Consider replacing gutters, flashings, and drip edges if necessary for proper drainage and protection. Ensure the contractor addresses concerns about the skylight and demonstrates competence in flashing installation to prevent leaks.

Back