Asphalt walk repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstew96

Reaction score
I had to remove a portion of my asphalt walkway to get to a sewer pipe, I took it in three chunks. Is it resonable to suppose I can put it back and use driveway patch to fill the cracks and then seal it?

not reasonable but what do you have to lose ? might work especially if not subjected to auto loads & traffic,,, good luck !

Worth a try and after 3-4 years of the fill settling back down then you can do a proper repair and not have it sink down.

Yes, agreed. Patch is surprisingly very forgiving material. Put it down in several "rough" sections and tamp as needed. Once it forms a base your happy with, go over with general sealant. At that point, you may want to do the entire walkway to give it a nice uniform "new" finish. Most of the stuff I've used is good even during wet use although i choose not to apply during rain or standing water. The temperature up here in the NE is starting to get out of the asphalt/concrete repair season though : (

good luck!

What about heating it up in the barbique just to about 100 degrees to make it maliable? I could put it in a tray to separate it from the flames.? Sounds crazy doesn't it, but its all hard and jagged.

ha! I hope your kidding...
Home Depot and Lowes both sell a 50# bagged product thats around $10.50 or so... I've used over 10 of these and love the product. Like I said before, its stated for cold patch and traffic ready.

I'm think you should save your $25 Hospital Co-pay and buy a case of beer for the project. Don't use a grill dude.

I really hope your kidding...

Thanks all for the great responces! I decided, since the asphalt fell apart and I couldn't peice it together to instead continue a stone and cement walk to meet up with the asphalt. I didn't think I could tamp the cold patch evenly enough to make it look good, and there is not heavy roller tool I could find to roll it smooth. Thanks again all!

Back