- Apr 28, 2012
- Reaction score
I'm insulating a house in Pittsburgh (Rec attic R-49 to 60). The attic is currently devoid of insulation of any type. I want to:
- Seal the headers to reduce convective heat loss through the walls, ie chimney effect
- Insulate to R49+
- What about a closed cell spray foam - is the greater expense worthwhile - see below?
- Is it worthwhile to spray a sealing foam, then top with rolls of fiberglass?
- Are the advantages of blown-in fiberglass worth the dust and mess of install and the mess of any future ceiling work?
- Confirm that sealing the headers is worthwhile, whether with caulk/great stuff or insulating foam.
- Yields approx 602 sq feet at 1″ thick
- R-value of 7 at 1″ thick Anti-Microbial foam