Bad 'P' trap for laundry drain?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyCrispy

Reaction score
I have a very slow draining laundry drain. Just wondering if it's due to the 'p' trap and its not so straight forward direction as it goes up then back down again ( see pics attached ). Plumber who did this was not very reliable. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob20180919_184454.jpg 20180919_184507.jpg

The metal pipe looks smaller than what is used today. I believe 2" is standard for laundry drains now. Traps have to go down and up to work. The whole purpose is to form a water seal to prevent sewer gases from coming up through the drain. Is this is a top loading washer or a front loading? Top loaders use a lot more water than front loaders and dump it into the drain a lot faster exacerbating a slow drain.

Did it just start being slow or was it always slow?

If it just started it could be a partial clog in the line or the trap.

If it is always been slow it could be the exit pipe is too small as mentioned above or more likely the plumber didn’t connect into a vented line or the vent is too far from the drain.

Those are things I would look for first.

I would give the guy marks for trying to solve the S trap problem but there should be no need for the putty.

The metal pipe looks smaller than what is used today. I believe 2" is standard for laundry drains now. Traps have to go down and up to work. The whole purpose is to form a water seal to prevent sewer gases from coming up through the drain. Is this is a top loading washer or a front loading? Top loaders use a lot more water than front loaders and dump it into the drain a lot faster exacerbating a slow drain.
Top loading, high efficient (low water use) washer. So maybe the 'S' shape trap is causing the slow drain?

I don't think it is the trap, looks ok to my unprofessional eye. More likely it could be stuff stuck on the reducer if it is not a smooth connection, or as others have said further down the pipe (no vent, not enough slope, etc). And as Neal was getting at, what's up with all the putty? Is the joint stressed so much that the lock nut couldn't be tightened?

Top loading, high efficient (low water use) washer. So maybe the 'S' shape trap is causing the slow drain?
The problem with an S is that the water is pulled out of the trap when the water runs fast so no. I would suspect a blockage of some sort like rust in the metal pipe.
If there was a hole cut in the floor or shelf the trap could be set up better.

i agree with the rest of the people in that the "S" trap isn't needed - only a P and nether is the putty. this black pipe is put together with included gaskets. no glues or puttys. imo, i'd head to lowes or hd plumbing dept and start with the adapter for the sink drain (white pipe). all the fittings are tightened by hand. all 5 of my sinks are done this way. can the metal pipe be replaced by pvc? if so, i'd do that. pvc doesn't corrode. i worked with a master plumber for 3 years. also, i live in N. AL and here, we discharge washing mach. grey water to an outside field drain, similar to a septic tank field drain. could they have done this and its plugged?

ps-i agree with the power strip... very dangerous.

Latest posts

Back