Bathroom fan and lights - varying speed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt54321

Reaction score
One of my bathroom fans upstairs changes speed when certain lights are turned on or off. Depending upon which set of upstairs lights is turned on, sometimes the fan can slow down, and other times, speed up (yes - turning ON a light in the adjacent room can actually make the bathroom fan speed back up!).

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this - what/where should I check? If this helps, ALL of my upstairs lights are the newer fluorescent bulb kind (no incandescent bulbs).

Thank you for your help!
-RT

Loose neutral somewhere. Are all the devices on the same circuit with a shared neutral? If not then the problem is the neutral in the service drop. It could be in the panel, meter pan or POCO connections at the weather head or transformer.

One of my bathroom fans upstairs changes speed when certain lights are turned on or off. Depending upon which set of upstairs lights is turned on, sometimes the fan can slow down, and other times, speed up (yes - turning ON a light in the adjacent room can actually make the bathroom fan speed back up!).

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this - what/where should I check? If this helps, ALL of my upstairs lights are the newer fluorescent bulb kind (no incandescent bulbs).

Thank you for your help!
-RT

The process will take some time.

A process seldom illustrated here, is the correct method of joining electrical conductors, PRIOR, to applying a wirenut.

Insure you have the insulation on the conductors to be joined, removed exposing relatively the same length of bare conductor, bunch them together and twist using a linemens plier until they appear braided, trim the end of the twist square and install the appropriate size wirenut to fit the twist tightly.

This is in all fixtures, J boxes and appliances where you are the person accomplishing the mechanical connection.

No exceptions.

The greatest cause of residential fires attributed to electrical, is from loose connections.

Just bunching the conductors together and stuffing them into a wirenut, is a wish in one hand endeavor.

Latest posts

Back