bathtub drain leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duongz

Reaction score
i have a leak at the elbow of the drain. i think its the limescale/calcium bluish greenish buildup thats causing the problem but im not sure. i cleaned up it up the best i can. its hard to reach,i would have to cut some drywall in the basement to fully access it. the tub is upstairs.

i made the mistake of putting water weld around it but that didnt work. if i were to cut the drywall, would i be able to remove tha wastepipe/tail piece from the elbow to clean it or is that permenatly attached. option 2 would be to replace the tailpiece and elbow with pvc which oesnt build up and leak that much i heard. is there any option where i dont have to cut the drywall

i was also wondering if me using bleach to kill tub mold could cause the leak, i flush with water afterwards. i heard its ok as long as u diltue it

IMG_20220423_213516(1).jpgIMG_20220425_015153(1).jpg

Yes, bleach is a good anti-mould agent, but it will not dissolve lime buildup, causing your leak. It is not a good idea to cut drywall to clean it. It's better to replace the sink tailpiece. PVC is a good option, but you might need to replace other parts. For example, if your faucet has lead, then you should replace it too. The best is to contact a plumber, and they will be able to give you a free estimate.

Back