Best friend's house burned on Easter five years ago

Help Support House Repair Talk:

zannej

Reaction score
My friend liked the idea of two 36"x30 cabinets. It gives more space and reduces the number of handles needed for the cabinets. I think at this point he needs about 33. I believe he has about 30 of them to put on. Might be able to buy 3 more individual ones though.
This is the latest sketch with the single sink he wants to get (it's about 33x22x9.5)
1633481633310.png
He got a new microwave-- pretty large one that sticks out from the cabinet a bit. It's Galanz brand and does air frying and convection.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
The rain is over and it's good to see the sun again. As I looked out my kitchen window this morning my thoughts went to your friend's kitchen, I would never give up a kitchen window over the sink (air leaks can be fixed). When my wife designed our kitchen that was a priority.

Screenshot 2021-10-09 12.07.39 PM.png

Last edited:

zannej

Reaction score
Eddie, apparently chunks of the window are missing, glass is broken, and it's a mess. My friend does not want to have a window there. He plans to remove the glass, board it up on the outside, (I will probably paint it), & then he will drywall over the inside. I thought it would be nice to have a small window at least but he doesn't want to mess with it.
I did a mockup to see how it would look if he turned his fridge. He already tried turning it so the back was to the wall to the bedroom & it looked bad in person. So I'm trying it this way. It's about 53.5" from the edge of the doorway to the wall. The fridge is 35-3/4" wide and about 31-1/2" deep. Leaves 17-1/4" to the wall. But, if he adds trim inside the 37" wide doorway he can bump it over 1/4" and fit another 18" pantry cabinet.
1634007289336.png

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Eddie, apparently chunks of the window are missing, glass is broken, and it's a mess. My friend does not want to have a window there. He plans to remove the glass, board it up on the outside, (I will probably paint it), & then he will drywall over the inside. I thought it would be nice to have a small window at least but he doesn't want to mess with it.
If he plans to never sell that might work · · · for me it would be too claustrophobic · · · and detract from outside appearance. I would leave the window and slap a storm window over the outside to protect from the elements until I could do a proper window replacement. IOW home improvement vs degradation.

Last edited:

zannej

Reaction score
He never plans to sell. They want to keep the house in the family.

Bit of a snag because the price of the cabinets went way up. The cabinets that were $87 are now $105. The pantry cabinet he wants is out of stock and has nearly doubled in price. So he'll have to save up even more $. If that's even possible with pretty much financially supporting his gf, her baby, and now her family that are staying there. I think they are buying food but they are not contributing to utility bills.